Project 3200

Contigo

Sponsor
As some of you know I collected a 3200 on Sunday after a post popped up on Facebook advertising an unloved 3200 in need of some TLC. At the price point it was a no brainer as Mike Roberts knew the car and had seen it over a 9 year period. It failed its MOT on brake issues, corroded lines, inefficient braking and leaking fluid etc....

The car was collected Sunday and it took some getting out as it had been laid up since September with all 4 tyres flat, a dead battery. We started by hooking up a spare and then tried firing her up but it didn't crank. Suspected starter motor and based on the position in the V it's no surprise they fail especially if there is a small water leak. They were originally designed for small French motors and they are really not up to the job.

12524391_1368418479850342_6969458663500331774_n.jpg

12932839_1368418469850343_7995535737333274671_n.jpg

The only thing we could do was jump start it but being a little bit forgetful I didn't take the towing eye from my auto 3200! D'oh. A little bit of improvisation with a tow rope around the lower control arm (more on that later) Chris my mechanic friend towed me behind the truck and she jumped into life. I wanted to hear her run basically and it also pretty much proved that it was a starter motor issue and not something more sinister. The Capone stainless steel back boxes sounded really good and there was no smoke at all at idle or under load.

Managed to winch her onto the truck and off we went on our merry way.

12961572_10207958671877056_7432704569693717305_n.jpg

The next step was to inspect the car under an MOT ramp with all the weight on the wheels as you probably know that I feared the inevitable.

controlarm.jpg

And yet Maserati deny there was ever a problem with the quality of the control arms. I think this one is seconds away from disaster and the MOT tester missed out on it.

Still 1 out of 8 isn't bad considering this car has been sat for some time and resided in the salty air down on the South Coast :)

The main extent of the rusting on the underside of the vehicle is surface corrosion and really is nothing which a good wire brush and schwartz won't fix.

only 1 of the brake lines was corroded and that has already been replaced with a copper pipe and brakes have been tested as working (but inefficient). A full set of discs and pads will be done on the car prior to MOT test.

copperpipe.jpg

The car is booked into the body shop for repairs to rust around the offside rear arch and will have a respray to the rear quarter and boot lid.

offsidearch.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off I cleaned up the wheel bolts on a wool grinder machine.

wheelstud.jpg

Next up was to change the starter motor for a Bosch reconditioned Valeo Motor

startermotor.jpg

Everything was going swimmingly until 1 of the 16 hex bolts securing the inlet manifold rounded out :( . This stopped the job dead in its tracks and once the offending item is out the starter motor can be replaced.

Jobs to do:

Starter Motor
Fit 4 new tyres
Discs and Pads
Front offside lower control arm
Paintwork

StuartW

Well done Phil, rapid progress already. I look forward to the updates.
Have you measured the end float yet out of interest?

Contigo

Sponsor
Not had chance yet mate, It fired up, I listened out for any unusual noises, looked at the oil pressure gauge which remained constant at 5bar on cold and pressed the clutch a few times. I'm sure we'll get round to checking it at some point once I find a gauge.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well done Phil, if this car is know to have iffy brakes I would highly recommend fitting seal kit to the calliper and make sure the pad guides are not being pushed up by calliper corrosion, as I am finding out, Brembo brakes come with a lot of problems to get them to work correctly.

Looking good though, another one saved hey!

StuartW

Not had chance yet mate, It fired up, I listened out for any unusual noises, looked at the oil pressure gauge which remained constant at 5bar on cold and pressed the clutch a few times. I'm sure we'll get round to checking it at some point once I find a gauge.

Fair enough but the early signs are promising

2b1ask1

Special case
Good work Phil, another shocking wishbone find, stick a VOSA report in about it and mention it was missed at the MOT.

w1lde1

Nice one, a friend of mine tried to buy this car but you obviously got there first. Enjoy the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beau

You just need my interior for it now :p

I have a pair of good used lower suspension arms for sale
If any use?

Contigo

Sponsor
Looking forward to the on gong saga and seeing it back on the road, super charger and all!
Eb

Not on this one, will do one for sure one day with a single turbo and 600hp but right now I need the money to fund my car addiction! :D

RSM Masser

Saw this car on Facebook and commented that it would be an excellent buy for someone - obviously Phil, your the man!

Contigo

Sponsor
She's ALIVE!!!!!! :D

Starter motor is now in after having to drill that ruddy bolt on the Inlet!

Too much time? Nah just make darn good use of my evenings and days :)

Jobs to do:

Starter Motor - DONE
Fit 4 new tyres
Discs and Pads
Front offside lower control arm
Paintwork - Full rear end respray booked for weekend

jluis

Wow, that was quick.
I have a new starter motor for mine for more than 6 months and have been too lazy to change it :)

Roberts Aerospace

SPONSOR: Maseratished
Glad to see it going to a good home, and progress being made.

Incidentally, you don't have to drill out the Allen bolt. An external spiral extractor, or, an internal spline extractor will do the job quickly with no damage to the rest of the engine.

Mike.

Contigo

Sponsor
Glad to see it going to a good home, and progress being made.

Incidentally, you don't have to drill out the Allen bolt. An external spiral extractor, or, an internal spline extractor will do the job quickly with no damage to the rest of the engine.

Mike.

Drilled the top of the bolt and got a 10mm allen head in which got it out thankfully, have now replaced all bolts with a brand new set.

Contigo

Sponsor
Scanned it for codes stored (CEL is on, naturally it's a 3200!!!)

Throttle body, idle control valve and knock sensor. Will clear them and monitor once it is on the road. If I need to go back into the Vee to do both knock sensors so be it!

scan.jpg