Cat D Stradale - Super Trofeo

outrun

Are you on crack mate?

Since when has a 911 been a proper 4 seater GT car? If you think you can get even 2 kids in the back of a 911 then you are mistaken.

I love you Phil but i've had 8 911s and the back seats are fine for kids. Not as nice as a GT yes, but not bad at all. Why do you think they sell so many?

Contigo

Sponsor
I love you Phil but i've had 8 911s and the back seats are fine for kids. Not as nice as a GT yes, but not bad at all. Why do you think they sell so many?

It's not a true 4 seater mate. It's a 2+2.

The beauty of all Maserati's for me from the Coupe to current models is that they are true 4 seaters than can carry 4 adults across continents in comfort and style. There is no way in say a 993 that you could do this. When I drove a mates Targa I struggled to even get into the thing with the drivers seat in its most rearward position. The 991 may be different and offer slightly more room but why do you think they build the Panamera as more of a GT car.

Last edited:

Contigo

Sponsor
You are so right ....time will tell but the 2 seater will be the collectors car.

I'm not disputing it's a nice car, it's a stonking car, where they went wrong imo was to make it a 2 seater and perhaps they saw the error of their ways by making a later 4 seater version.

Andyk

The thing that kills early Strads is lack of four seats. The whole point of the GT was its uniqueness in a class of its own.

You are right Phil about the GT piece but Maserati marketed this the early stradale as a 911 GT3 alernative...More track than GT...Unfortunately it was never going to fill that role as well as the Porsche due to it's size and most reviews said it was more a Aston Vantage V12, Jaguar XKR S rival than Porsche one. The two seats would have restricted sales no doubt about that but I am sure a two seater fully harness Stradale will be the one to buy now and keep ..... Just like specials from other marques it will end up being the desirable one......

Andyk

I'm not disputing it's a nice car, it's a stonking car, where they went wrong imo was to make it a 2 seater and perhaps they saw the error of their ways by making a later 4 seater version.

Think they did Phil.....The 4 seater was inevitable...Dealers were telling Maserati that if it was 4 seats they would have sold more.....

StuartW

Reviving an old thread, I wonder what price this Cat D car needs to fall to before it becomes a good deal?

http://www.drivelinesportsandperfor...-7-mc-stradale-2dr-birmingham-201509086738269

It's currently at £55k and it was put on the register because of a front end. It needed bumper, lights, bonnet (hence carbon replacement), various trim panels, rad hoses etc.

Whilst we believe the Super Trofeo doesn't exist, the roll cage was fitted when the car was new as were the side & roof decals. The seller has all of the receipts for the accident repair as well as pre & during repair photos.

I would have thought that provided the repair was good, if it dropped another £5k then it must be worth considering?

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, its fair to say, if not an insurance lose that car would sell for £65k, maybe a couple of grand more.

Its a series one with the carbon bonnet and is my favoured 2 seater with roll cage model.

If you work around 15% then the car comes in at £55k, which is exactly the price it is up at.

I recon it could be had for £50k as premium cars and CAT's are difficult to shift and at that price, its a steal!

I would want to see a pic of the crash damage, if it looks not to bad it would not worry me.

Would I remove the stickers and paint the bonnet white, probably but its a great car at a great price.

StuartW

I agree Matt, the photos are available and it was for sale privately last summer for £65k. This dealer bought it at the end of last year and had it for sale at £60k and now £55k. They've had it for over 4 months & I seriously think it would be an excellent deal at £50k if, as you say, the damage wasn't too bad. It sounds like it ended up in a lamppost and the impact was right in the middle but the radiator survived so it couldn't have been too bad.

Tempting for someone I'm sure - I've been I can't have it so I'm out!

conaero

Forum Owner
Was the carbon bonnet retro fitted or I assume standard and survived the impact???

StuartW

Was the carbon bonnet retro fitted or I assume standard and survived the impact???

It was replaced following the impact but the dealer tells me the car now looks as it did when new so it must been spec'ed like that
Apparently the carbon ceramic discs were all ok but the pads & sensors were replaced due to a fault code showing up

MAF260

It looks like it has the wrong headlights as well. Stradales had the lights with the white reflectors - this one has orange reflectors - that would really bug me along with the wheel centres being a different colour to the wheels. At £50k it's a lot of car for the cash, but it won't sell on quickly. If I bought it I would get rid of those awful stripes (and replace with something better!) and paint the bonnet the same colour as the car.

MrCoop

Tempting at £50k but only as a keeper. And although I'd convince myself, if I bought it, that it'd be as a keeper, I know **** well that it won't be!

StuartW

Yes Mark, good spot - they clearly used the wrong lights when it was fixed. I wonder how it looks under the bonnet & under the engine cover? I dare say the odd item under there may be missing or cracked too.

But for that price, we can't expect perfection!

Andyk

I didn't think the Mark 1 Stardale had a carbon bonnet. Didn't that appear on the 4 seater...? ...... Obviously the roll cage and decals were an option on the mark 1 and you could also order a helmet and overalls.

outrun

I didn't think the Mark 1 Stardale had a carbon bonnet. Didn't that appear on the 4 seater...? ...... Obviously the roll cage and decals were an option on the mark 1 and you could also order a helmet and overalls.

Correct Andy, the carbon bonnet is a 4 seater only option. I'd also paint it white as raw carbon is too MaxPower for me. Headlights are incorrect as MAF says and very expensive to put right. Personally I think a Cat car should be at least 25% less than equivalent if not a little more. At £65k non-cat, this puts it in the £45-50k bracket as it stands. Assume there's a few bits that need doing, inspect to assure that the ceramics and clutch are OK and it could add up.

Below £50k should make it plausible to sell on too if required.

I'd still always buy a non-cat if I could but that would require an extra £20k which is a whole 4200....or 3 X 3200 (Benny!)...

MAF260

Said this before...but king of cats our Loz used to say 30%

That's probably right for the owner. If a dealer has the car they will have paid maybe £40k-£45k for it and are trying to make a margin on it. Somebody got a pay out and either sold the car as salvage or bought it back and had it repaired with some non-standard parts. I doubt the owner lost any money; whether there's any margin for the dealer remains to be seen. Those headlights would seriously irritate me and would cost a fortune to replace with the correct items.

rockits

Said this before...but king of cats our Loz used to say 30%
Agreed...the trade uses 30% discount on CAT cars against a non-CAT car in the main. Makes this one £45,500 not allowing for wrong headlights. So £45k is more realistic price for me.

Not sure I could live with that bonnet though. Not really a big follower of all this carbon finish malarkey. Don't get me wrong, I would have and appreciate the benefits from using carbon fibre as a material. Just don't want to see it and/or show it off.

StuartW

As with everything, it's worth what someone will pay and right now, it doesn't look like this car is worth £55k but if the price was £50k & the repair was decent, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold quickly