Does anybody know this blue 3200

StuartW

If funds are tight, I would save until they are not so tight - you will enjoy the car more and save yourself an awful lot of grief

Ewan

If you are not happy to be spending at least a grand per year on maintenance (and usually more) I'd suggest not going down the exotic car route at all. And whatever you buy, be sure to have a few grand set aside as a war chest, for those unexpected-but-actually-inevitable occurrences.

MAF260

You're better off buying a known car, IMO. Macaroni's 3200 is currently for sale for a similar amount. It's higher mileage, but has excellent provenance and lots spent to keep it in good condition. A number of those invoices have my name on as it was my car a few years ago!

highlander

Have you got another one cracked Greg, or is that just a precaution? Totally agree with the service costs. First year on mine was about £1300 and about £2500 last year and that's with me doing a fair bit myself.
No, ball joint going so doing it pre-emptively, hoping the forum comes up with replacements before the other 6 need doing though!!! but as I said, you need to spend to keep these old girls in their best condition, it is that or don't get one IMO.

jluis

No, ball joint going so doing it pre-emptively, hoping the forum comes up with replacements before the other 6 go!!! but as I said, you need to spend to keep these old girls in their best condition.

Are you taking the pattern parts from ES or taking the original ones?

highlander

Are you taking the pattern parts from ES or taking the original ones?

Thought I'd try the pattern since they are on special just now. Will just have to see if Phil needs to change brackets too though since they seem to be tight on earlier models. Marci is a 2000 but that is no guarantee she was not built in 99 or even 98......

Assetto 52

Buying any of the older Maserati's or any exotic car is easy, maintaining them is a totally different kettle of fish especially the 3200gt.
But personally i wouldn't be with out it.

Wack61

That is true , I do need to buy a good one whatever it is but so far I haven't seen anything that's saying this isn't a good one .

If he has bills showing 10k spent at lancasters , new clutch , A/C compressor and various other parts, body and interior look good , if the only fault is an intermittent CEL which as Phil says could be a sensor or maybe a throttle body which I read is a £600 fix then surely it's worth looking at

let's not forget, it's only a cat car because the insurance didn't pay the bill to fix it, if they had there'd be nothing showing and you wouldn't know anything about it.

I'm fine with a repaired car if it's been fixed properly and the price reflects the history , if lancasters have done the work I assume they've done it correctly if it's been on the road for the last 5 years.

What I need is a car that's had a fortune spent on it and a wife that's had enough so first bid gets it

Luna 06

There will come a time when you want to sell and that cat D will really pull it down.
I'm surprised it's showing a CEL after all that money spent on it at Lancaster.
Back to that French blue 3200GT. That's the one I'd buy.

Zep

You sound like you have persuaded yourself

The advice above is sound, to prevent Maserati ownership becoming a bind rather than a joy you need to expect fairly chunky bills for maintenance, tyres and unexpected items, certainly in the first couple of years and no, this doesn't include bar bills from Forum meets .

If you are thinking "the worst that could happen is" you will almost certainly be surprised and not in a good way!

outrun

£9.5k is too high for a car car, even one without a CEL light.

Patience. You'll find the right one at your budget. You'll be very disappointed if you buy a money pit.

Wack61

I wouldn't have offered anything like 9.5k for it but I think you're right, a cat car has to be for the right money

Almichie

If you buy a 3200 without going in with your eyes wide open you will always enter a world of pain. They aren't easy to live with in the mechanical sence (parts are becoming unavailable) but are epic in the soul stirring sence and if you understand that you will enter a long term relationship that won't be matched, ever. Just make sure the current custodian also understands this and you shouldn't go far wrong. Allow £1.5k a year for servicing, and £3-4k every few years for the bigger bits (paint, wishbones, turbo etc.).

D Walker

You sound like you have persuaded yourself

The advice above is sound, to prevent Maserati ownership becoming a bind rather than a joy you need to expect fairly chunky bills for maintenance, tyres and unexpected items, certainly in the first couple of years and no, this doesn't include bar bills from Forum meets .

If you are thinking "the worst that could happen is" you will almost certainly be surprised and not in a good way!

wise dude!!!

redsonnylee

I bought mine 5 years ago & have spent 3.5k the first four years. Last year was 10k to get it through the mot, oh and it's been off the road quite a bit during this time.

I have other cars so am always mobile, buy the best one available & don't go anywhere anything with CEL unless you know exactly what it wrong.

I never knew about this forum when buying mine so didn't have the luxury of all the great advice on these pages. If I did, I wouldn't have purchased this particular 3200 & definitely not from that dealer.

Wack61

Luckily it's a 500 mile round trip so I'm pretty sure I won't be nipping out for a pint of milk mid evening for a look see