Does anybody know this blue 3200

Wack61

It looks nice in the pictures but having contacted the seller by email it was a cat D for engine damage but has been repaired by lancasters

He says it drives OK but the CEL light is on, I was interested until he told me that, the cat D doesn't worry me but check engine lights do

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 18

highlander

Seems odd someone trying to punt with a constant cel? I know if I was selling marci and she had a constant cel, I would find out what it is and either fix it or reduce price accordingly. if interested, I would start by asking the owner to identify what the cel is before even thinking about a inspection, if not willing to do it, walk away, as mark says there will be good ones out there with less risk. Thought you were after a 42 or GS though?

allandwf

As people have said above. If the CEL was an easy fix it would be done. May need throttle body and pedal pot fitted, there's the best part of a grand.

Contigo

Sponsor
If you buy an unloved 3200 you will enter a world of pain, been there done that. Trust me, you need to buy a good one!

Contigo

Sponsor
Lol part of the MOT History.

Advisory notice item(s)
Check engine light on intermitantly
offside front brake disc pitted and scored on inner face

If I was to take a guess it will be a defective 02 sensor reading, our 3200 does it intermittently but doesn't go into limp mode.

Wack61

Seems odd someone trying to punt with a constant cel? I know if I was selling marci and she had a constant cel, I would find out what it is and either fix it or reduce price accordingly. if interested, I would start by asking the owner to identify what the cel is before even thinking about a inspection, if not willing to do it, walk away, as mark says there will be good ones out there with less risk. Thought you were after a 42 or GS though?

I was after a QP but my wings have been clipped a bit so they money I have will only buy one of the entry level 12k ish cars with the heartache that's likely to come with them, I still have my Omega watch to sell so I might have to put it on eBay to bump the funds up a bit

That 3200 does look nice, he wants 9.5k ONO for it , if it was closer I'd have a look but it's a 450 mile round trip , apparently it's had 10k spent on it at lancasters on an engine rebuild in 2011 after something took the front out under the car

Problem is I've got myself to a point in my life where I don't owe anybody anything so to start pouring money into what could become a problem car would be a bad move

highlander

I was after a QP but my wings have been clipped a bit so they money I have will only buy one of the entry level 12k ish cars with the heartache that's likely to come with them, I still have my Omega watch to sell so I might have to put it on eBay to bump the funds up a bit

That 3200 does look nice, he wants 9.5k ONO for it , if it was closer I'd have a look but it's a 450 mile round trip , apparently it's had 10k spent on it at lancasters on an engine rebuild in 2011 after something took the front out under the car

Problem is I've got myself to a point in my life where I don't owe anybody anything so to start pouring money into what could become a problem car would be a bad move
If seriously considering it then get someone on here who lives nearer to have an initial look for you.........even a 42/GS owner would do in a pinch ;)

allandwf

I would think an entry level, as you put it, QP, would cause less pain than an unloved 3200.

jluis

If funds are tight, I would recommend a 4200 or a QP.
The 3200 will be cheaper to buy but any of its common failures will be expensive to repair.

Even simple things like knock sensors or o2 sensors will cost an arm and a leg to replace, unless you do it yourself and even then....

Don't get me wrong, I own a 3200 and love it but they can easily get expensive to maintain when compared with the more recent models.

Wack61

It's in Bury St Edmunds but I've not even spoken to him on the phone yet so I'm a way off but thanks for the offer.

When I was 10 my dad told me money burns a hole in my pocket, 45 years on nothing has changed but I'm trying my hardest not to be throwing money as I walk up the drive

Just got this email in answer to a number of questions , doesn't sound very Rod Scott to me

Good morning Darren
thank you for your enquire, i have had the car 3 years, it has an MOT but I will do a new one for you,
please note the cat D was for mechanical damaged only and resulted in £10,000 being spent on the engine being completely rebuilt, inc A/C cam belt etc, it has recently been completely over-hauled by Lancaster's and your concerns regarding the cracking etc, are not a problem, it also has a new clutch and battery, if you can find rust on it i would be amazed, as for the paint work and interior are as good as you will find anywhere. i have full history documents to support all the above,8 changes to ownership. boomerangs lights are ok, check engine light does come on, but it has all been checked on computer, all oil etc done to spec, disc's and pads all done, still on original body, ball joints ok,exhaust replaced,just black ket no red, missed placed who previous own died,or steering rack, it was all done by Lancasters,
yours Sincerely
Rod Scott

Trev Latter

It's only an hour or so away from me, so sing out if you want an opinion. I can plug into the diagnostic too if need be.

highlander

I would think an entry level, as you put it, QP, would cause less pain than an unloved 3200.
Totally agree here. even a loved one can easily set you back 2k a year on necessary parts/service alone........I am having another wishbone replaced in March when she goes down for her service along with the air conditioning condenser, add that cost to the two previous services and parts (one was a timing belt service, front wishbone and the emergency gearbox repair after brunty) and there is not much change, if any, out of 5k for my past 2 years! These are not the cars to buy if you don't have a war chest for emergencies and do not budget for 2k each year to keep the car right IMO.

Trev Latter

Have you got another one cracked Greg, or is that just a precaution? Totally agree with the service costs. First year on mine was about £1300 and about £2500 last year and that's with me doing a fair bit myself.

safrane

If funds are tight please don't take the risk on a car with known faults unless you know exactly what needs fixing and the cost.