Yellow 4200

safrane

Its all well and good people saying they would rather have a high miles well maintained car than a under used un cared for one... but people just don't buy them. Daft but true.

mchristyuk

Its all well and good people saying they would rather have a high miles well maintained car than a under used un cared for one... but people just don't buy them. Daft but true.

I do! :)

Had I asked on here before buying mine I would have been told that it was only worth £3.50 and only good for spare parts. Hogwash. Some TLC has made it a brilliant car.. and it's required no more effort than my previous "low miles, low owner count" 3200.

Mark

Contigo

Sponsor
It is the British mentality, most of Europe driver their cars into the ground but to be fair we are comparing Maserati with typical brands. Look at the mileage of your Average Ferrari, Astons and Lambo's and they are generally about half that of a trident from a similar age car. Whether that is again fear of being used or that Maserati's are made to be driven as an everyday car I don't know. Maybe your average Ferrari owner spends more time staring at it in the garage rather than driving the thing I don't know.

I always factor in age really when looking for instance 120k miles is nothing on my recent 205 purchase, it equates to 4.5k miles per year which is low by anyone's standards. On a 2010 car for me it is high and would probably put me off and make me look for a lower miler car because it is common sense that parts will have been worn more including internal engine components despite frequent servicing.

You cannot deny what Peter says though and that is that people want and value low miler cars far more. The ones worth that silly amount are always the ones with delivery miles at auction and for me that is just pointless. Buy a car, don't ever drive it and sell it for £2k more than you paid for it 15 years ago!!!

mchristyuk

It is the British mentality, most of Europe driver their cars into the ground but to be fair we are comparing Maserati with typical brands. Look at the mileage of your Average Ferrari, Astons and Lambo's and they are generally about half that of a trident from a similar age car. Whether that is again fear of being used or that Maserati's are made to be driven as an everyday car I don't know. Maybe your average Ferrari owner spends more time staring at it in the garage rather than driving the thing I don't know.

I always factor in age really when looking for instance 120k miles is nothing on my recent 205 purchase, it equates to 4.5k miles per year which is low by anyone's standards. On a 2010 car for me it is high and would probably put me off and make me look for a lower miler car because it is common sense that parts will have been worn more including internal engine components despite frequent servicing.

You cannot deny what Peter says though and that is that people want and value low miler cars far more. The ones worth that silly amount are always the ones with delivery miles at auction and for me that is just pointless. Buy a car, don't ever drive it and sell it for £2k more than you paid for it 15 years ago!!!

Agreed.

I think my point was that there are some great well looked after cars out there if you're prepared to look past the mileage. The common theme here on the forum is that you shouldn't touch a car over 60k miles as it's knackered..when the reality couldn't be further from the truth. This mindset is madness.. it's the low milers that seem to have the most issues through lack of use!

The way I look at things is, am I buying this car for my enjoyment or as a business opportunity to make money?.. I never bought a car to make money.. it's a "hobby" and I buy my cars to drive them and enjoy them. I won't dismiss a car purely on it's miles.. has it been looked after and does it drive as it should? Excellent. Sold.

Mark

GeoffCapes

I'm another exception to that rule. Mine has just hit 79k. And after looking at loads of 4200's and a few GS's, it's in the best condition of the lot of them.
It's also got a stack of receipts and has clearly been looked after.
I bought it to drive, not for it to be a museum piece!

GeoffCapes

Mark yours look super but 79 is a long way from 130.

Indeed it is. I guess another thing is how the car has been looked after.
A friend of mine loves his Fords and has a series 2 RS Turbo, he has done nearly 160k in it.
However, to look at it you'd think it had only done about 10k. Every thing that ever needs to be done gets done.
It's been re-sprayed twice to keep the paint work looking spot on, the seats have been refurbed twice, to keep them looking mint. The story goes on.
His example is a bit OCD extreme to say the least, but if the yellow 4200 with 130k on the clock has been looked after there's no reason not to at least have a look.

Which would you rather have a car with a foot thick of receipts in great condition on 130k or a barn find with not history and a lot of work required?