Yellow 4200

Wack61

I though the last digit was grey for 1/10 of a mile but you're correct 130,000 miles, that's some petrol bill

2b1ask1

Special case
Quite common for the airbag covering to bubble, takes about an hour to peel it back, remove the dry glue and re-glue and stretch into place. Most have been done now I guess, happens to parts of the dash too sometimes!

130k is a respectable mileage but makes the asking price errm.. keen!

Andyk

Lots of 3200 airbags like that......Think it was something to do with the glue used at the factory ... didn't like the hot sun......Easy fix as Newton has said...

130k up and they expect it to make 11 to 14k.....Seems ambitious...Surely that should be the other side of 10k...

Rather like it and seem to remember if for sale a number of years back.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Re-glued my airbag, then it did it again.
Noticed that it bubbled up when cold, and disappeared when the car was left out in a sunny day and the cabin temperature increased.
When it was cold, and bubbled, I got my hot air gun out and gave it a blast, the bubbles disappeared....but they never came back when it cooled!
I guess the heat must have 'refused' the glue!

highlander

Different from the crowd with this one. The high milage would not put me off paying asking price if I was looking for a summer weekend toy to do 5k or less a year. It has proven it can do it, looks tidy and so long as it passed an inspection I would trust it more than something of similar age that has done less than 40k.........

MAF260

Was thinking the same sort of money Pete.....

There you go again!!

It's yellow, so that increases the value twofold for a start! Regardless of miles do you seriously think a 400bhp V8 Italian supercar is really only worth the price of a second hand Mondeo??

Last edited:

highlander

Its yellow, so that increases the value twofold for a start! Regardless of miles do you seriously think a 400bhp V8 Italian supercar is really only worth the price of a second hand Mondeo??

I agree, well maybe not with the yellow bit ;), we can be our own worst enemies in talking these cars down. 4-6k is a scrap or spare parts price and this does not look to be anywhere near that poor a quality. If taken care of it has at least another good 20k plus in it which as a summer weekend car at 5k a year is at least 4 years of fun.........

Andyk

There you go again!!

It's yellow, so that increases the value twofold for a start! Regardless of miles do you seriously think a 400bhp V8 Italian supercar is really only worth the price of a second hand Mondeo??

Nope ... not talking prices down...Thats a 8 to 10k car witht hose miles...That's if you can get someone to buy it with those miles...I would but I would imagine a shed load of people would be put off...........That would have to have some kind of service history and bills for someone to take the plunge at 11 to 14k...

midlifecrisis

I agree, well maybe not with the yellow bit ;), we can be our own worst enemies in talking these cars down. 4-6k is a scrap or spare parts price and this does not look to be anywhere near that poor a quality. If taken care of it has at least another good 20k plus in it which as a summer weekend car at 5k a year is at least 4 years of fun.........
Agreed, possibly more. I've always said a well looked after car will go on for ever.
I totally disagree with people saying 80k is a watershed milage for value. I big V8 like in either 4200/3200 are not highly stressed, if unmodified, and will last.
Ancillary devices may fail but the engines are well built, by hand.

safrane

I know from experience what you can get for a high miles 4200. I sold ky 2003 car in May 2011 with 72,000 on the clocks with perfect history.

Despite its first class condition and major service by Emblem in the March I got less than 13k for it...and form the comments made be members in here you would have thought I was selling a dose of the clap! Too many miles, will need a new clutch, must be a lemon with 30k worth of bills in the service book...

I also know how much some other members paid for their 90k cars with issues and for that I would not hqve been able to pay for three services at Emblem.

In summary I stand by my valuation.

CatmanV2

I know from experience what you can get for a high miles 4200. I sold ky 2003 car in May 2011 with 72,000 on the clocks with perfect history.

Despite its first class condition and major service by Emblem in the March I got less than 13k for it...and form the comments made be members in here you would have thought I was selling a dose of the clap! Too many miles, will need a new clutch, must be a lemon with 30k worth of bills in the service book...

I also know how much some other members paid for their 90k cars with issues and for that I would not hqve been able to pay for three services at Emblem.

In summary I stand by my valuation.

Well that's going to **** up my plans for next year then

C

mchristyuk

My 3200 is coming up for 120k miles and the engine is still going great guns.

It seems to be a UK thing.. as soon as a car goes over about 60k miles it's seen as "over the hill". On the continent cars have much higher miles and nobody bats an eyelid.

Truth is a well maintained car on 100k miles is going to be in a much better state than an under serviced 30k miler which has petrol and water for oil!

I'd much rather have a car with high miles, a stack of receipts and an enthusiastic previous owner than a hardly used garage queen....

Despite the stories of endfloat on 3200's and oil starvation/variators on 4.2 engined Maseratis the failures are still in the minority. Each time I think of chopping my car in for a Cayman I just look at the Porsche forums and realise that things aren't so bad on this side of the fence!

Think I need to hatch a plan to start stock piling all the old "worthless" Maseratis with over 80k on the clock... :)

Mark