lovely classics for sale on Maserati Club UK site

Ewan

The 400 is not a cheap hobby, I'll give you that. But I took the family to the pub for lunch last Sunday, and going in the 400 made it an event. It just oozes class. And by fluke, we got the prime parking spot.

Driving the 400 really makes you feel like a 1970/80's european king of industry. Big cigar lighters front and rear, and also two completely separate and independent air-con systems front and rear. For 20 odd years mine was owned by Al Fayed, so who knows, maybe Dodi and Princess Di had a ride.

The plan for later this year is to repaint it back to its original colour which is a sort of light metallic brown/bronze. But it's a big car with hand-crafted panels, so a full bare metal job with glass out etc, followed by a complete fill and fair and probably some new metal work is going to be in the region of £20k-£25k. We are estimating approximately 500 man hours, but we won't really know until it's all stripped off and we can properly see what we're playing with.

There's one very similar to mine (in the colour mine is going to become) for sale in France. I'll find the link and post it up. Hopefully, when you see how fabulous it looks, the cost of the repaint won't seem quite so bad.

Ewan

I forgot to say, the exhaust I went for was a hand-built stainless steel job - better and cheaper than going for an original Ferrari job made from mild steel.

zagatoes30

I have always liked the 400, it has great lines and about as subtle as a Ferrari can get. Always hankered for one but as Ewan has shown the running costs are horrendous which is why there isn't one in my garage.

Ewan

Interesting, why was it repainted from the original colour Ewan?

The original owner bought it in London, but then took it to NY for a year. Then back to London for a few years, and then to Hong Kong. While it was there he had the official Ferrari dealer repaint it dark metallic blue, as by the mid-eighties the bronze colour was out of fashion and most 400/412 were being ordered in shades of blue. So it's been that colour ever since.

Here's what she'll look like after the repaint:

image.jpgimage.jpg

safrane

Now that does look lovely Ewan.

I guess its not the MPG that is the issue but parts and services that cost most of your limbs.

Would love an older classic but on a government salary its rather unlikely I could get anything more than an MGB!

Contigo

Sponsor
I was never keen on the 400, it just seemed to look like some dull almost Americanised GT/coupe but it has actually gotten better with age and looks rather elegant now. In that colour it looks pure class.

I have always liked the 400, it has great lines and about as subtle as a Ferrari can get. Always hankered for one but as Ewan has shown the running costs are horrendous which is why there isn't one in my garage.

Yes
They do not do subtle well, but this is the exception to the rule, very nice

Team GCR

Ewan,

That is a stunning colour, really suits the 400 and it will be well worth it when yours is returned to the original hue.

If the Jalpa is as good as I hope when I get it back from the paint shop I will give you a shout if you would like as the cost is considerably less than you are talking about. He has done bits for me before always to a very high standard but this is the first full repaint he will have done for me.

Andyk

The original owner bought it in London, but then took it to NY for a year. Then back to London for a few years, and then to Hong Kong. While it was there he had the official Ferrari dealer repaint it dark metallic blue, as by the mid-eighties the bronze colour was out of fashion and most 400/412 were being ordered in shades of blue. So it's been that colour ever since.

View attachment 33932View attachment 33932

Not really a fan of these but that looks stunning Ewan...Shows what a colour can do...

StuartW

After having a ride in a 400 last year which was at Shiltech, I've become a fan - the engine burble and the interior are just fantastic.

Ewan, yours looks stunning

GeoffCapes

View attachment 33932View attachment 33932

Lovely. Just lovely.

Ewan

I'm pleased to see I'm getting the thumbs up on the colour choice for the 400i. My wife and I have been mulling this over for months, and it's too expensive a job to get wrong!

And it's even better to see that I may even have managed to turn some 400 sceptics into 400 appreciators.

hilts uk

I notice that despite the committee spending significantly into 5-figures just to get it started, and I understand more has been spent since, the new web site still hasn't been launched. Splendid value for money there... at least, for the chaps who took the development money from the 'club', certainly not the members ;)

I know what you mean. Its been about to launch for 2 years now. How hard can it be?