Warranty thoughts

Nemcova

QP 2007 coming to the end of its warranty cover that I got when I bought the car, so just looking for anyone's good experience/ warrant cover recommendations in case I haven't got the nerve to just rely on a war chest fund, which would probably get spent on holiday deals every time that a good one came up!!

My current warranty has probably saved me £10K + in the last 18 months, so although I've now got a well-sorted QP at someone else's expense, I'd like maximum wallet protection moving forward.

Cheers.

conaero

Forum Owner
So tell us what's been done over the past few years and that will give us an idea of what's potentially on the horizon.

Is your car an auto or semi?

spkennyuk

If you get a quote from warranty wise dont book it at the first price they give you. They will call you and text you to pressure sell the deal but just wait. About 3 weeks later you will get a text saying pay for 10 months and get 2 months free which will save you a few quid.

russellp

I have had quotes from Warranty Wise and Warranty Direct. Both more expensive for 2 years than MD.
MD £2300 the others £3000+ with limitations but with "wear and tear" included. Things like wheel bearings, steering rack etc.
Needs further investigation.
Russell

spkennyuk

There is another thread somewhere on here about warranties. The main dealer warranties are based on a euro price so the weaker the euro the cheaper in £'s they become but the price is set by the individual dealer so prices can vary between them.

Nemcova

So tell us what's been done over the past few years and that will give us an idea of what's potentially on the horizon.

Is your car an auto or semi?

It's a very late 2007 Sport GT, so full ZF box, and despite the issues it's the car I've loved most. Work done includes some (fairly normal issues for this car I'm learning), rear parking brake shoes, head gasket leak/ replacement, door handle mechanism change, rear electric window blind motor, steering column change due to motors failure, various front suspension issues including upper and lower bushes, steering rack, crack in the front alloy due I'm 100% sure to pothole damage, complete swap/ new set of drilled disks and shoes 4 weeks ago, and to finish off nicely, the Variators have now been done. - See, I wasn't kidding when I said that I was having her slowly rebuilt.

The annoying thing is that as you'll see, I've had many of the usual expensive items done now (this must be the newest 2007 QP in the country), but I've also learnt that everything is expensive to fix on these cars, so I'm going if possible to avoid spending the same as a reasonable holiday on the next item to fail, probably the day after the existing warrant expires. - Even my man-maths is starting to struggle with the Mrs at the moment, she's even starting to point out how the nice the new Merc CLS looks (we've had a nice, reliable CLS 350 previously), so DANGER - DANGER !!!

ChrisQP09

Personally I would go for warranty with as much wear and tear items included. I had a torn rubber window glider which prevented the windows from going up and down. The replacement was 680 quid inc labor from a MD, but was a wear and tear item! You can be out a fortune quickly with the smaller bits! Of course I had to pay and go with the MD otherwise the warranty was void.

Nemcova

Personally I would go for warranty with as much wear and tear items included. I had a torn rubber window glider which prevented the windows from going up and down. The replacement was 680 quid inc labor from a MD, but was a wear and tear item! You can be out a fortune quickly with the smaller bits! Of course I had to pay and go with the MD otherwise the warranty was void.

Ha- wear and tear.....insurance for the insurance company.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well it sounds like you have addressed the problem areas so would imagine you should be OK for the next few years now.

Still, if the warranty us under a grand, renew it. If it's more like £2k, I would just bank the money and use indies and source used parts.