Galloping idle when cold - QP4 Evo 3.2

Arvid

Hi all.

I have an annoying problem with the QP. In cold weather,below 0 Celsius,the engine starts with a very high idle. Usually about 1800-1900 rpm. This is of course wrong and very annoying. It will keep this idle for a minute or two while the engine warms up,then it will start to rapidly gallop between 1000 and 1500 rpm. It behaves like this till the engine temp is aprox. 65-70 when it will start to behave more normal before settling at a normal idle about 1000 rpm. When at operating temperature the engine starts absolutely fine and idles perfect.

So,what can be causing this ? I have changed both air temp sensors,both water temp sensors and both lambdas. I have checked the function of both air auxiliary valves. They move freely and looks to be ok. None of these new parts solved the problem. If the engine is sucking in false air,wouldn't that also create some problems when engine is hot ? Like rough,uneven idle ?

Any insight and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvid

chad5k1

Idle control valve issue (I think it is known as the AIR MODULATING SOLENOID VALVE)?
Try and give it a clean perhaps?

Arvid

Idle control valve issue (I think it is known as the AIR MODULATING SOLENOID VALVE)?
Try and give it a clean perhaps?

That is what I thought initially but they both move freely and respond well when tested with 12v. I did not have this behavior last winter. I suspect it is connected with the plenum as it came of when changing the starter... But If the car draws false air somehow wouldn't that be noticeable at warm engine as well ?

All the sensors where changed due to a flickering engine warning light. So,they can at least be ruled out. Shortly after that the starter gave up so plenum had to come off. It has all worked fine until now when winter temperature demands cold start function.

The air valves work fine on the bench but maybe not connected to the cars leads ?

del mar

I had the same - it could be that the plenum seals aren't sitting right so allow an air leak. When the car warms up everything expands ever so slightly ?

Arvid

We'll see :) Strangely the high idle problem is only apparent when it's below 0,let's say -5/-10. Yesterday it started nicely with steady idle at aprox. 1100-1200 rpm a couple of minutes before settling at normal idle. Outside temp was +1. A few days earlier at -8,it's all over the place...

Can't help thinking that's strange and inconsistent. I have not had the time to investigate further as work steals all time for the moment.

Arvid

This thread needs an update :)

I never quite found any solution on this problem and learnt to live with it - although it was very annoying... A few months ago I started getting a howl from the engine bay when the turbos got off boost. I knew it had to be something with the pressure relief system from the turbos and checked the diverter valves/DV's - and surely the membrans where defective. The idle problem disappeared when I changed both diverter valves.

Now the car idles as it should -even when cold and also the transition between high cold idle and down to normal idle is working as it should. As a fantastic bonus the engine has quit using oil as it has always done - and as we all know this is a common problem on the 3.2 V8's.

Not really sure why the oil consumption bettered so much. Would be interesting to know.

Arvid

Ewan

Hi Arvid,

Glad to hear the QP is fixed. I never had this issue with either of my two 3.2 Evo's and nor did they use much oil. Maybe I just lucky!

How's the 400 these days? Happy with the paint choice?

I'm yet to tackle the repaint required on mine, but have just fitted new 12 new injectors as I was down on power and discovered that 5 of the old ones were either not or under performing. I pick it up from Emblem tomorrow so am hoping for a much improved driving experience.

Arvid

Hi Ewan,

Well,the 400GT has measles I'm sorry to say. The paint started to bubble... It will have to be painted all over again. The lesson being never trust a smiley and friendly person who looks and sounds professional - go for the workshop that has a known reputation. I think we've all been there at one time...

The brown/greyish Marrone Dino Met. was a lovely color for the car but not the original color the car was delivered in. I chickened out on the much more brown Bruno Acajou as was the original - but this time I will go all in. It will now be like it was from factory and it will both be lovely and correct I'm sure.

Wish me luck,
Arvid

Ewan

Sorry to hear the last re-spray didn't work out. But good for you on the new (original) brave colour choice! Mine was also originally Bruno Acajou, but I'm too chicken to take it back to that. I'm still thinking of Marrone Colorado or possibly an early shade of Canna di Fucile.

Good luck, and let me see the pictures when she's done. I remember Mr Heineken had has 400 in "our" colour.

Arvid

Ewan,a little digression from the original content of the thread - but here's a little inspiration for you.

Prego - the Bruno Acajou. Absolutely not a colour to fear :)

Ferrari 400GT Bruno Acajou (2).jpg
Bruno Acajou 1.jpg

Ewan

Yep - that's mine. Same as the one Mr Heineken had. But I'm still struggling to be that brave on the repaint. I'll be keeping the dark brown carpets and the dark brown leather inserts to the door cards and seats, so I'm thinking the dark brown exterior is a step too far. Hence my idea of going for a lighter shade - something slighter more grey/bronze.

Arvid

Mine is exactly like Yours Ewan with the contrasting dark brown interior details. The Bruno Acajou was Pininfarina's own choice of colour for this chassis and was a box you had to tick when ordering.

Contigo

Sponsor
**** brown as the Mrs would say if I showed her. I like JRG cars and brown ones but she wouldn't let it lie if I bought one.

Contigo

Sponsor
why-the-ferrari-400i-is-collectable-1476934712467-1000x621.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
^Thats a lovely period correct colour.

Quite fancy doing that on the Opel GT as it has a biscuit interior, would look lovely and period correct.

Here are the 3 Factory bronzes and gold that understandably I don't want to pic from. My other colour choice would be Blu Med Maserati colour.

3a6b963db95f785e9040f52b69d38069.jpg

opel 402 Gold.jpg

opel gt 402 Sahara.jpg

GeoffCapes

Yep - that's mine. Same as the one Mr Heineken had. But I'm still struggling to be that brave on the repaint. I'll be keeping the dark brown carpets and the dark brown leather inserts to the door cards and seats, so I'm thinking the dark brown exterior is a step too far. Hence my idea of going for a lighter shade - something slighter more grey/bronze.

If yours is the same as the pic above, leave it that colour.

It suits the car so well. And buyers want original colours these day (according to Wayne Carini on Chasing Classic Cars).
I think it suits the car perfectly.