Cold Start Noise

Jkulin

The more viscous oil sounds a good idea.

24k miles is a trifle low for variator problem in my experience it is normally around 45k - 50k

Dave, mine had only done 25K when I picked it up and the noise was evident from day one.

Michael, I think MAF said that it can be done cheaper when I was down at the Ace cafe, but I'm happy with what The Supercar Rooms are doing, especially since I am not paying.

Like yours mine does it on especially cold days or when I have been driving it for a while then return in the evening and there is a cold night, it doesn't appear to do it when the weather is warmer, relatively speaking for winter!

Keano

I think we need to take care with what may be different issues here and I am not sure that the Variators are ever modified as i believe they get replaced.

My rattle was resolved by cam machining to fit non return valves and new solenoids all for £1500 and the machining was done locally in the UK - historically they used to be shipped to Maserati who may have sent them to Italy or may have sent them to an engineering workshop in the UK. This was a known issue with engines in a certain range and later models not affected. Mine was startup only and short lived and at 32K miles. I am now on 48K miles - 16K miles in a year :) so hoping that a variator issue is not about to land.....

The Variator based on the part number in John's list is available on http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/m...2/all/lh-cylinder-head-camshafts-43145/253625 Setting it up is tricky.

Jkulin

Keano, you might have a point as when I pasted the estimate it said to machine the cam caps.

Perhaps it just makes sense to replace the variators at the same time because of the expense, rather like not changing a thrust bearing when changing a clutch plate.

Michael

Keano, you might have a point as when I pasted the estimate it said to machine the cam caps.

Perhaps it just makes sense to replace the variators at the same time because of the expense, rather like not changing a thrust bearing when changing a clutch plate.

John,

I've also been told the issue is the cam caps the variators aren't great so are replaced when the engine is open. I have an email from Maserati UK confirming that this issue causes no lasting damage to the engine. I'll post it if folk are interested?

Well done though on your outcome.

Keano, good to hear you got yours done for £1,500 - I could live with that. What made you get it done? Did the clatter last longer that a couple of seconds? Or did it happen in warm weather too? Or did you just want it done?

Thanks.

Jkulin

Thanks Michael, yes that letter might prove useful.

What amazes me is that the Yanks can get a recall for this but the UK can't, maybe it is because someone hasn't taken Maserati UK to court yet?

Keano

John,

I've also been told the issue is the cam caps the variators aren't great so are replaced when the engine is open. I have an email from Maserati UK confirming that this issue causes no lasting damage to the engine. I'll post it if folk are interested?

Well done though on your outcome.

Keano, good to hear you got yours done for £1,500 - I could live with that. What made you get it done? Did the clatter last longer that a couple of seconds? Or did it happen in warm weather too? Or did you just want it done?

Thanks.

Hi John

Mine was covered under warranty so it made sense to get it done as it was very annoying and ruined the experience for me of getting in and hearing that V8 purr.... Once it started it was happening in Cold and Warm weather at startup but only for a few seconds.

thx
Keano

conaero

Forum Owner
Hi there,

My 4.2 GT sport did it infrequently around the 50k milage point, the noise down to the valve train bucket to cam clearence due to the hydraulic lifters not being fully pressurised / filled with oil.

Oil draining due to the accumulator / non return valves is one reason , or just leak down at the lifter .

I cured my symptom by changing to Mobil 1 10/60.. My car is now on 81k with no ill effects.( & going better than ever..)
I believe the thicker oil leaks down less from the hydraulic lifters & prevents the greater valve clearance developing / noise on start up.

Oil is relatively cheap although 9 litres is just under £80.00 worth a try I reckon.

Cheers

did using a different viscosity oil make the oil pressure when hot higher or lower, of was it just the same.

Michael

Thanks Michael, yes that letter might prove useful.

What amazes me is that the Yanks can get a recall for this but the UK can't, maybe it is because someone hasn't taken Maserati UK to court yet?

This came from their GM of Northern Europe

Dear Mr. Clifford,

Thank you for your e-mail!

I have taken the opportunity to speak to Paul Green about your enquiry to ensure that I was fully aware of the situation before responding to you.

Maserati, as with most automotive manufacturers, will continue to develop aspects of their vehicles to allow for the incorporation of new technology, new materials, new manufacturing processes etc. and as a result it is not uncommon for parts to be superseded during the production life of a model. You will be aware that Maserati offers a three year unlimited mileage warranty from purchase as a new vehicle. All warrantable defects identified in that period would of course be rectified under the terms of that warranty. I understand that your vehicle has only recently shown signs of noisy variators, a significant period after the expiration of the warranty.

I am assured by our technical team that the sound heard on start-up from the variators causes no long term detrimental effect to the operation of your Maserati and therefore only, if you do not accept the sound that they make on start-up, do they need to be replaced at all.

Regards,

Peter.

Given that it causes no harm - other than the annoyance of the clatter does anyone have info from a Main Dealer/Indy that suggests it does cause damage?

sofasurfer

I've always had the cold start noise at start up and thought this was pretty normal. Are there GTs that don't make any noise when cold then? Maybe I should get it checked out whilst it still has warranty on it.

Keano

Maserati in US issued a bulletin with a fix for it under warranty

Attachments

• BULLETIN  07-09 QP Auto.jpg
    BULLETIN 07-09 QP Auto.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 35

CatmanV2

Hmm. My engine is rather before that. No record of the work being done, but no start up noise either. Maybe I should start saving now :)

C

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I'm in the same boat C. I've had a noise on cold start a couple of times but not every time - it was 0 degrees when I started it on Sunday after a week in the garage and no noise!

CatmanV2

I'm in the same boat C. I've had a noise on cold start a couple of times but not every time - it was 0 degrees when I started it on Sunday after a week in the garage and no noise!

Not even had that. First time I went to view the car, he was going to wash it. I specifically asked him not to, so I could hear it cold. Nada. Just injectors.

C

rivarama

CatmanV2; said:
Just injectors.

C

What does it sound like? Everytime i start the car from cold, i can hear an "electrical motor" sound that goes away after 20/30sec of driving

CatmanV2

What does it sound like? Everytime i start the car from cold, i can hear an "electrical motor" sound that goes away after 20/30sec of driving

Electrical motor? Bit like a hair dryer or fan? Secondary air pump. I *think* 'they all do that, sir' Mine certainly does :)

Injectors sound like a light clicking noise as opposed to a valve much heavier tapping of banging. If you imagine 8 small solenoids going off, once per cylinder ignition you'll get the idea :)

C