4200 Lights

w1lde1

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the lights switch on the 4200 needs to be turned to the off setting when parked up.

I am trying to work out the drain on my battery and the only thing without identifying an electrical leak is that i sometimes leave the lights in the off position when the car is turned off.

Anyone experience in this, would it drain the battery please?

For info: New battery, runs most days although only perhaps 30mins drive but battery will die over night and certainly if left for 2 days.

zagatoes30

Unlikely to be the lights, I have left mine in both the on position and the off position with no drain. The lights are like the Alfa ones they go off with the ignition unless you put them in the park position.

The biggest cause for battery drain on 4200s is the tracker, if you have one fitted and the tracker battery has not been changed it will drain from the main battery. Have you tried turn the battery off switch in the boot when you leave it parked up to see if there is still a drain?

2b1ask1

Special case
Yep, will almost certainly be a redundant tracker, these have a sealed lead acid battery and they fail after a few years but the system keeps trying to charge it getting nowhere but flattening the main car battery. Look in your paperwork for the tracker documents, call them and they will come and disable it free of charge (or you can find it and remove it yourself like I did).

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Yes, if a redundant tracker is fitted (most if not all when new), it's a heavy parasite on the battery.
Removal will result in weeks rather than days battery life.

w1lde1

Thanks

Would the tracker be disabled by holding down th lock butting when locking the car? I.e when it beeps or is that just the alarm?

w1lde1

Nothing in the notes about tracker. Would it be factory fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You can't turn it off, and it's spliced into the wiring loom by a third party, not factory fitted.

2b1ask1

Special case
Nothing in the notes about tracker. Would it be factory fitted?

You are probably looking for a credit card size card with NAV-TRAC on it or similar in your blue folder.

w1lde1

Just spoken to navtrak fitter in 2006. They are calling back tomorrow and will send out an engineer hopefully at no cost :)

Thanks for help, hope this is the issue

2b1ask1

Special case
Excellent, you will see an instant improvement, you may well need to put a new battery in the car if the present one has been drained flat though, modern batteries just cannot cope with this. A good motor factors will do you a seriously heavy duty one for < £130, my replacement is 5 years old and rock solid :)

CatmanV2

Bosch Silver last week: £89 delivered

Definitely not all of them have trackers. Mine doesn't, for a start

C

w1lde1

Thanks everyone

What's people's thoughts on my question earlier, Would the tracker be disabled by holding down th lock button when locking the car? I.e when it beeps or is that just the alarm?

CatmanV2

No, the tracker is totally different. Nothing to do with the fob

That beep you get is (I believe) indicative of the internal volumetric sensors being turned off so you can leave the windows open

You cannot disable the tracker. It must be physically disconnected.

C

miket

Never thought mine had a tracker, no paperwork, until I stumbled upon it by accident!

Ditto for me, I stripped mine out, and as I originally described it must have been fitted by an ape they had used duct tape and double sided foam to fix components down and the wiring! Well I'm surprised it even functioned.
Battery is much better now to such an extent I don't use the trickle charger as much (in fact since October) and she still fires up on the first turn!!

XMIKEx

I found two old / redundant trackers still wired in and draining battery, both had direct feed so battery isolator did not disconnect them plus half the wiring for an after market alarm and a Nokia phone kit!! All now removed an battery drain minimal.

CatmanV2

The isolator acts on the earth (at least I'm very sure it does) so they were wired to the negative terminal?!

I suppose there's not a whole load of sense in having one if it's really *rally* easy to turn off :)

C