ZF Quattroporte Sport Wanted

Andyk

You really need to go and see that one.....doesn't look like it has been serviced annually but lots haven't and as long as an inspection comes up trumps it looks a great QP.

rockits

Remember these ZF's are 2 yr or 12.5k service intervals so this could be about right on servicing. A slightly longer interval on one but only a few k out.

rockits

Now here is an interesting one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201704525487#ht_686wt_1141

A Sport GTS no less. Maybe with a bit of negotiation might not be too far away from your budget. Is better than the Sport GT by some margin by all accounts and has the carbon fibre trim, the ZF, the wheels. A bit dark but the Alcantara trim is nice. All fully de-chromed with rear privacy glass. I am sure this is the kind of thing you have been looking for.

SPX

Remember these ZF's are 2 yr or 12.5k service intervals so this could be about right on servicing. A slightly longer interval on one but only a few k out.

Like Andy stated, it did worry me slightly but then I remembered you saying they'd changed the intervals to 12k or two years.

SPX

Now here is an interesting one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201704525487#ht_686wt_1141

A Sport GTS no less. Maybe with a bit of negotiation might not be too far away from your budget. Is better than the Sport GT by some margin by all accounts and has the carbon fibre trim, the ZF, the wheels. A bit dark but the Alcantara trim is nice. All fully de-chromed with rear privacy glass. I am sure this is the kind of thing you have been looking for.
I got notified of this yesterday, I do like the GTS but it is over budget and even if it was in budget I couldn't go for a car that's been owned by a car club and driven (ragged) by multiple owners every year.

Ewan

The tricky thing with black QP's is that they particularly show up the inevitable stone chips in front of the rear wheels (on the arches and the sills). If this GTS has not had it's sides repainted, it'll need it. Which is quite a big and expensive job, as it's a case of how far do you go.

rockits

The GT was the first car in the range that introduced 2 year rather than annual intervals. The ZF QP followed suit. not sure if the GT MC Shifts are the same...I thought all GT's were 2 year.

Contigo

Sponsor
The GT was the first car in the range that introduced 2 year rather than annual intervals. The ZF QP followed suit. not sure if the GT MC Shifts are the same...I thought all GT's were 2 year.

Yes GTS in all guises are 2 years too

Mr K

You're implying that dry-sump QPs with the proper transmission system didn't have a 2-year max service interval. Not sure where you got that from! Did early QPs have a 1 year max interval? I've had two MY2007 Sport GTs - both have been 2yr/12.5k miles.
QPV_DS_Service_Schedule_p1.jpg

Ewan

The earliest QP V's needed annual services. But that soon changed to every 2 years, or 12.5k miles (whichever was sooner).

Mr K

I got notified of this yesterday, I do like the GTS but it is over budget and even if it was in budget I couldn't go for a car that's been owned by a car club and driven (ragged) by multiple owners every year.

A 395bhp car ragged in the UK? They're known as Cat C & D cars... You'd struggle to thrash these in Germany - elsewhere in Europe on public roads... I think not.

Low mileage cars under £20k do come up, but they don't hang around. To actually buy one of these bargains you have to scour the ads, get on the phone quickly and get on with viewing as they're gone in days. A forum member I know picked up a nice 2007 60k mile QP Sport GT with a ZF gearbox for £13.5k privately. That one did hang around unsold for a while, probably due to some minor issues. But the buyer actually physically went to view it, and wasn't put off by little things. Winter's the time for the best bargains. Let's see if you can beat that :)

bigbob

You're implying that dry-sump QPs with the proper transmission system didn't have a 2-year max service interval. Not sure where you got that from! Did early QPs have a 1 year max interval? I've had two MY2007 Sport GTs - both have been 2yr/12.5k miles.
View attachment 40098

My understanding is that the QP went to two years when the auto came out in January 2007. That would mean that there was then about 18 months of DS production with two year intervals - rare cars.

SPX

A 395bhp car ragged in the UK? They're known as Cat C & D cars... You'd struggle to thrash these in Germany - elsewhere in Europe on public roads... I think not.
I'm not sure what insurance write-offs have got to do with anything but the GTS in the link has been owned by a car club, the kind of club where XYZ people throw in XYZ amount of pounds a year to drive it for XYZ days a year.

So in other words no different to a hire car (and we all know how sympathetic people are with them...)

SPX

Low mileage cars under £20k do come up, but they don't hang around. To actually buy one of these bargains you have to scour the ads, get on the phone quickly and get on with viewing as they're gone in days. A forum member I know picked up a nice 2007 60k mile QP Sport GT with a ZF gearbox for £13.5k privately. That one did hang around unsold for a while, probably due to some minor issues. But the buyer actually physically went to view it, and wasn't put off by little things. Winter's the time for the best bargains. Let's see if you can beat that :)
Was that the silver one on Pistonheads or the blue one on eBay that was somewhere in the south east (Kent I think?)

rockits

My understanding is that the QP went to two years when the auto came out in January 2007. That would mean that there was then about 18 months of DS production with two year intervals - rare cars.
I thought only ZF autos were 2 year on the QP. Were 2007 on DS QP's 2 year as well?

Andyk

If you can stretch to a Sport GTS it's well worth it...it's regarded as the best of the breed....and one reason being that out went the Skyhook adaptive damping, and in came single-rate Bilstein dampers, biased towards handling to exploit the Quattroporte’s Wonderful chassis.

Ewan

The GTS seems to command a premium of a good £5k or so over a similar age/mileage Sport GT. For that you get the better suspension, bespoke tyres, different camber/toe settings, sportier interior, blackened chrome accents and so on. Lots of little things that add up to make a more compelling and exclusive vehicle.

The depreciation curve is more gentle as well, so you're more likely to get your £5k premium (or most of it) back when you sell on.

All in all, to me the extra was worth paying. But I can understand why an old man wanting a wafter could think differently;)

Andyk

Agree Ewan...plus they are pretty rare in the used market so will always hold that value I would say. Currently only two 4.2s for sale where as put that haunts how many other 4.2 models that are in the classifieds and you can see why there is a premium.

All in all, to me the extra was worth paying. But I can understand why an old man wanting a wafter could think differently

Me perhaps?