FOR SALE - Karif RHD, Manual BARGAIN !

outrun

So, a friend of mine has decided to part with his Karif. He bought it on a whim and really doesn't have the patience or spare cash to do what he wants to it.

I've been in it, and I know the work that's been done so far. It's a good car, ultra-rare and correct spec and colour. But it needs it's bodywork sorted and so it's now the cheapest Karif on Earth.

I understand it's number 21 of 25 UK cars, of which 11 are believed to still be here. It's manual too (no idea if they did an auto). Nice colour, nice interior. Goes like stink.

DSC_0037.jpgDSC_0032.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0038.jpgDSC_0024.jpg

Here's what he said about it...

Recent Work

Full Major Service:-

Cambelt
Tensioner Bearing
Spark Plugs
Gearbox Oil
Diff Oil
Coolant
Brake Fluid
4 x New Tyres
Wheels Refurbished
New centre caps
Rear brake shoes
Handbrake Cable
2nd hand replacement steering knuckles
Both front track rod ends
Wheel Allignment

Throttle cable and throttle pedal repaired
Clock in for repair now
Full black carpet set to go with car. (new from Holland) custom made

Work Required

Has had welding to floors, chassis legs and nearside inner wing. The work to chassis legs and inner wing is ok. The floors are not and need re-done. Also needs welding to the rear offside inner sill. (not too bad though)

Bodywork
Aircon control unit
Drivers door handle required
Headlining is sagging
Central locking not working

Car has done 85500 miles
MOT June 2016
15 service stamps in the history
Folder of receipts/magazines/documentation
2 keys 

The car is now mechanically sound and driving really well. Engine has good oil pressure.

Now for the best bit. Offers around £7500 which makes it peanuts for what it is.

Realistically, there are only 3 ways to approach this, if you're seriously interested.

1) Leave it as it is, it will rust a little more but whatever.
2) Tart it up and resolve surface rust issues. I think you're looking around £3k to do this.
3) Total bare metal respray. Resolve all the issues and make it a minter. I've done this once before and it was £8k.

These cars seem to be around £15k and up to around £25k, if you can find one. Surely for rarity alone it must be a sound investment?

I'd buy it if I had the time and the spare cash.

PM me if you want to know more and I'll put you in touch with the owner.

Cheers

highlander

If only I had it mate, I would happily pay the asking. That is one beautiful package.....will he take tic? Lol

outrun

I doubt he'll fancy tic on it G. Especially as he's as blue as me and tic has all sorts of negative reasons in our part of Glasvegas village.

allandwf

If that was in the New year I'd be along for a look. Too many unknowns on the horizon for me at the moment.

StuartW

That looks like an excellent deal & a very honest description. I'm sure whoever buys it will be very happy

Ewan

I like these, but would rather pay more upfront for a lower mileage car in better condition. Rust on biturbos is always worse than it looks and more costly to repair than you first think. Especially if there's any rust around the bulkhead. But I've inspected this particular car and it may well be a suitable project for someone on here. Especially someone with their own (or tame local) body-shop.

outrun

The red one at silverstone sold recently for more, can't remember the amount. I think it was £13 or £14k

The one that my friend has does not have bulkhead rust issues. It's not that big a deal to repair and the benefit is that you'd be sure about what you owned if you did it. There's many a higher priced car that's cleaned up well for auction but is actually a dog that needs money spent on it.

At lease Graham is being very honest and pricing it accordingly.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Thought I would enter the reg into the MOT history checker.
Makes interesting reading.
I don't know whether this MOT history checker is a good idea, one serious way to put you off a car, even if all the faults have been subsequently sorted!
I mean really, why put a car through its MOT with no rear number plate and wheel nuts missing and expect it to pass?

Reason(s) for failure
Rear registration plate missing (6.3.1a)
Front All position lamps adversely affected by the operation of another lamp (1.1.A.3f)
Drivers seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended. (6.2.A.3)
Offside Headlamp not working on main beam (1.7.5a)
Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)

Ewan

Though to be fair, those are really minor issues that could be fixed easily and might effect any car after a period in storage. Nothing there to worry a potential buyer of such a rare car, especially not at the asking price.

I recently bought an old Ferrari that had sailed through its MOT with no advisories. But trust me, the work I'll be put to will be huge and time consuming. Replacing the exhaust alone cost more than this Karif!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Though to be fair, those are really minor issues that could be fixed easily and might effect any car after a period in storage. Nothing there to worry a potential buyer of such a rare car, especially not at the asking price.

Well they have been fixed now, having a pass, just a shame to be on its record for daft stuff, forever!
If you look a little earlier a few years, it lists all the corrosion fail points, again presumably sorted now.
There is certainly no hiding away from any previous MOT failures/advisories.

Contigo

Sponsor
Surely a record is just that? We all have ailments too, some things we get over and become fiitter so let's not dwell on the past. Mainly forums like these are positive but for some things they can hinder progress as all the internet Sleuths come out and scrutinize every last detail.

Athol is a very respected member and I'm sure the car is as described, not mint but a **** good basis for a project etc... Let's hope this is sold to an enthusiast and or forum member!

allandwf

If you buy a project, knowing minor issues, I see no reason not to stick it in for a test. It will give you a basis of the minimum required to get it on the road. Yes the owner would have known about the lights, missing plate etc. but it's what he couldn't see that would be the issues. I like the MOT tracker, why try and hide anything?