Fresh buy - 1998 Ghibli form Japan

Swistak

Hi General, I've just handed my car to car spa (the interior i.e. driver's seat and armrest need to be refurbished). In the meantime I'm trying to ather all parts needed for my initial service plus some things that are already used like the insulation under the hood and clutch pedal pad. I've already bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx tires (the tires onthe car where old and very hard so the ride was very unpredictable :). Later I'll have to solve some electrical malfunctions. I've already checket the alternator and it's doing just fine but the battery goes flat during the ride so there must be some kind of a "leak". Well, tht is my first expierence with italian auto technique and I'm beginig to undestand now what it means that a car has a soul :)
And how is your toy? I hope it's fine taking it's mileage and how it looks on the photos

Hi General, I've just handed my car to car spa (the interior i.e. driver's seat and armrest need to be refurbished). In the meantime I'm trying to ather all parts needed for my initial service plus some things that are already used like the insulation under the hood and clutch pedal pad. I've already bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx tires (the tires onthe car where old and very hard so the ride was very unpredictable :). Later I'll have to solve some electrical malfunctions. I've already checket the alternator and it's doing just fine but the battery goes flat during the ride so there must be some kind of a "leak". Well, tht is my first expierence with italian auto technique and I'm beginig to undestand now what it means that a car has a soul :)
And how is your toy? I hope it's fine taking it's mileage and how it looks on the photos

Glad to hear your Italian mistress is getting the pampering she deserves! Sounds like some niggles to iron out but nothing major.

Same for me really, getting Emblem in Poole to do a lot of smallish jobs plus a big service as I don't know when the belts or valve clearances were done, so that's all being checked plus fluids etc. I've also been scouring eBay for some small missing parts, a couple of pieces of trim, bits like that. Have managed to find most of it fortunately.

Emblem are organising things like the foam in one of the driver's seat bolsters being replaced, headlining being reapplied, wheel alignment, play in track rods, sticking boot release and fuel cap release, small weep from the rear diff being done. All small jobs to do now that will hopefully mean she'll be in good health for years to come :D

Swistak

Finaly the rebuilt getrag transmission is back in my Maser. I can't find reliable info how much oil there should be used to fill up the transmission - any help?

Wally

I'll check for you this evening. Can you give me info about the parts they used (partnumbers i mean....) because there is hardly any info available,

chad5k1

Finaly the rebuilt getrag transmission is back in my Maser. I can't find reliable info how much oil there should be used to fill up the transmission - any help?
You fill it until the oil comes out of the filler hole. If I remember right it is less than 2 litres, maybe 1.7l?
Clearly easier to get right with the car level on a ramp

chad5k1

Hi Peter
Some of it is repairs and we did sticker it up before a trip to Spa last year. I think it works and shows it as a working car, not a garage queen.

safrane

Indeed...looks like you are retro fitting it out to full factory race spec.

Hope to bump into you both again soon...must be six years since nkw.

chad5k1

Indeed...looks like you are retro fitting it out to full factory race spec.

Hope to bump into you both again soon...must be six years since nkw.

That would be good, it has been a long time.
I'd say it is a bit of a hybrid.
Better spec'd than the cup racers without the Evo upgrade. Some bits are more positive than the Evo upgrade, others less so. Without throwing bucket loads of money at it, we were never about to reengineer the hubs to take Ferrari Challenge brakes front and rear for example - but we have a good in-between.

Rich - when/where are you next racing? I'd love to see a Ghibli being driven in earnest. Do let us know and I'll try to come along and spectate.

chad5k1

I think we might have only one more event this year, a charity track day in aid of combat stress. Our attendance is still to be confirmed and subject to a fit car, but it will be at Castle Combe on Thursday 13th October.
That might be it until the spring, as we have a fair bit of work to do on the car.

I think we might have only one more event this year, a charity track day in aid of combat stress. Our attendance is still to be confirmed and subject to a fit car, but it will be at Castle Combe on Thursday 13th October.
That might be it until the spring, as we have a fair bit of work to do on the car.

I'm flying out on the 13th for 10 days. I might have to wait until spring in that case but I'm determined to come and cheer you on at an event!

chad5k1

Castle Combe

October...

Hmm...

I'm saying nothing.
The years we have done combe at that time of year (must be almost 10 years) we have been mostly lucky and even when not - let's just say it is very entertaining - although perhaps not for passengers!

Swistak

After a longer while my car is back on the road. There are still some issues that need more attention (i.e. CEL that lights up and goes off from time to time). I'm very glad that my mechanic was able to put my transmission back into one piece and it works just fine! However at the same time I'm really mad because right after I picked up the car after she was being polished I scratched the right front fender while puting the car into the garage... It really made me sad!
Another thing I destroyed is the leather interior in the back. It was virtually new when I got the car only needed a good cleaning. However I put a set of brand new tires directly on the leather and it caused some really nasty staines that can't be removed. It's a really painful lesson for me :(

IMG_1730.jpgIMG_1734.jpgIMG_1735.jpg

Do not despair! Get a really good detailer to look at the scratch on the bumper and the marks on the leather. You might be surprised at what can be done. If you're UK based I can recommend someone.