Rattling rear!

P R

Mine is coming up to 20k miles now. All great apart from a small issue.

On rough surfaces at lowish speeds there is a loose rattle noise from the rear. Now having had 15 years or so of driving Alfa's I am betting it is the rear anti roll bar bush which might have some play in it. (Same noise).

Has anyone else had any suspension noises? The problem is always the diagnosis by the dealers.

hoyin

What is it a GT? Mine had a similar problem. It is a gap between the rear linkage or something. They just put a spacer in there.

I had mine done under warranty 1 month ago.

Sham83

What is it a GT? Mine had a similar problem. It is a gap between the rear linkage or something. They just put a spacer in there.

I had mine done under warranty 1 month ago.

I am starting to have the same problem recently. Is this a quick/cheap fix? I have the car in for a service soon so will get it checked out. Fingers crossed it won't be too major as I no longer have warranty...

jayblue

Loose rear brake pads? My parents had a Renault Megane that rattled from the rear, chased the problems for quite a while but eventually realized that if you drove with a little brake pressure on the rattling stopped. Tracked it down to the pads being slightly loose in the calipers.

P R

Mine is getting worse. When I was getting my winters off the other week the garage had a play around, everything looked ok. They measured the rear ARB and it was 20mm dia, so I think I will buy some poly bushes from superflex, along with the brackets to mount them. Worth a punt at £30 ish... !

When I get round to it I will report back. By the way mine is a Ghibli..

Almichie

Could be drop links or anti roll bar bushes. My bet is a drop link has some wear. Make sure you check for play with the suspension compressed as it normally sits. Best and easiest is to reach up under the car not jacked up and give the links a wiggle, you'll soon know if that's the culprit

P R

Could be drop links or anti roll bar bushes. My bet is a drop link has some wear. Make sure you check for play with the suspension compressed as it normally sits. Best and easiest is to reach up under the car not jacked up and give the links a wiggle, you'll soon know if that's the culprit

Yes it was on a ramp but still on its "feet" so to speak. There was no play in anything. He said easiest way is to disconnect the ARB then drive and see if the knocking goes away. However, as said, the poly bushes are such that might as well replace the ARB bushes anyway...

StuartW

Guys, had this checked out when I took it in for service, but was told all is fine with the rear suspension. However, the rattling is driving me crazy and making me paranoid! Any ideas what it could be? It occurs occasionally at low speed on uneven surfaces.

Could be one of the shields around the rear exhaust boxes and not a suspension issue at all? It would certainly be exacerbated on uneven surfaces

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Mine had a loose heat shield. Horrible tinny rattle.

My drop links were replaced at around 40k miles, but that was more of a creaky/clonky noise than a rattle. Only really noticeable with Dem and fcz360 in the back. Mysteriously enough! :smile:

P R

Yes its not a tinny sound. All other things under the car appeared to be ok. To be fair the ARB bushes looked fine too, but the sound is uncannily like the Alfa...

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Mine creaks and groans and complains like **** some mornings for the first few compressions. And then it remembers its manners and shuts up. Copper-greasing everything would help it. That said, creaking clearly isn't what you have.

StuartW

Mine creaks and groans and complains like **** some mornings for the first few compressions. And then it remembers its manners and shuts up. Copper-greasing everything would help it. That said, creaking clearly isn't what you have.

Yes, mine too - the longer it is not driven, the more it will creak.

As we always say, these cars need to be driven!