Maserati 3200 GT buying guide.

sospanbach

excellent phil enjoyed the info, great cars whatever the issues puts a smile on your face every start up regards dave

alfatwo

Yes I don't mention too much on there really as most don't do it and when they do need doing you will hear them! The other issue is there are no more cam chains anywhere in the World!!!!

I don't think that would be a problem Phil, As we can get them knocked up from scratch...all we need is a pattern, ie an old chain!

Dave

allandwf

Yes I don't mention too much on there really as most don't do it and when they do need doing you will hear them! The other issue is there are no more cam chains anywhere in the World!!!!

That would point to them not essentially needing done, as they didn't produce enough.

Mott The Hoople

That is a slim connection Allan. With my understanding of how Maserati seem to work it points more to Indifference than planning! ;)

Or - that they did need doing and that's why the chain stock got used up.
Personally, I have no intention of ever doing mine unless they get really loud.
Steve.

allandwf

Or - that they did need doing and that's why the chain stock got used up.
Personally, I have no intention of ever doing mine unless they get really loud.
Steve.

I only know of one that got done, and only because of mileage, not noise or any other failure. Mine will also be left well alone.

tappets

Yes wise to leave alone given the reliable advice. Not a small nor simple inexpensive job! The unavailability of the chain kits are a worry though pending the need to have them done (which I'll do myself if required). The chains as mentioned by Dave should be easy to match up but the guide/chain runners may not? Just have to cross that bridge when we come to it!

alfatwo

Yes wise to leave alone given the reliable advice. Not a small nor simple inexpensive job! The unavailability of the chain kits are a worry though pending the need to have them done (which I'll do myself if required). The chains as mentioned by Dave should be easy to match up but the guide/chain runners may not? Just have to cross that bridge when we come to it!

You could knock some new chain guides up out of Delrin Terry..

Dave

davy83

additive manufacturing? surely we could print some chain guides? I would have thought some thing a little tougher than Delrin like Peek?

Gran5port

Very well presented phil, I enjoyed reading and I have learned something new :)

I only noticed recently that the Maserati 3200 GT panels are joined together, included the roof! Is this the only car like this? Very rare I must say! I've also noticed that all the low mileage 3200's are selling very quickly ranging from between £25,000 - £35,000

A 2000 Yellow Maserati 3200 GT with 31,000 miles recently sold for £25k by Orionsolutions within 2 weeks and Another low mileage 2002 Maserati 3200 GT Assetto Corsa sold the same day it was listed by USP Vehicles Limited. Do you think the 3200's will creep past the Gransports???

safrane

Probably be the same in 5/10 years.. but miles are the main factor as well as parts support.

Contigo

Sponsor
I'd not buy from a dealer who doesn't know the cars well enough especially a 3200 Cambiocorsa.

Contigo

Sponsor
Very well presented phil, I enjoyed reading and I have learned something new :)

I only noticed recently that the Maserati 3200 GT panels are joined together, included the roof! Is this the only car like this? Very rare I must say! I've also noticed that all the low mileage 3200's are selling very quickly ranging from between £25,000 - £35,000

A 2000 Yellow Maserati 3200 GT with 31,000 miles recently sold for £25k by Orionsolutions within 2 weeks and Another low mileage 2002 Maserati 3200 GT Assetto Corsa sold the same day it was listed by USP Vehicles Limited. Do you think the 3200's will creep past the Gransports???

Thanks, it's always worth a read.

Yes you are correct a 3200 is effectively one single panel (apart from the bonnet) and is lead loaded which means that damage to any one of the panels can be a nightmare for blending in and repairs etc....

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Was looking only yesterday at Porsche 928 prices, as I nearly bought one before thinking better of it before buying the Maser.
Advertised prices are crazy compared to 6 years ago. £20K car then now £40K+ asking....
Thought I would check up on the UK 928.org.uk for current market analysis. Basically, they think the current prices advertised are purely opportunist dealers and are totally unrealistic!

alfatwo

Was looking only yesterday at Porsche 928 prices, as I nearly bought one before thinking better of it before buying the Maser.
Advertised prices are crazy compared to 6 years ago. £20K car then now £40K+ asking....
Thought I would check up on the UK 928.org.uk for current market analysis. Basically, they think the current prices advertised are purely opportunist dealers and are totally unrealistic!

That's until you want to buy one Mike, then you have to pay the going rate..

My brother in law has just sold his original one owner 1985 Sierra Cosworth last used on a Alfa club track day at Mallory Park in 1992 for 58K!!

Dave