Spaced out

hoyin

Excuse my ignorance. But what do the spacers do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJL

Falkner Springs down here near Chichester will make you lower springs for £80 a pair. All they need is an original so they can test the compression ratios and resistance. You can have them in any colour you like and stiffer or not. They make springs for GT3 and 4 racing plus formular cars so are pretty well regarded. Takes about 10 days.

Car looks really good with the spacers. Good choice.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think black surround would look good as your car is grey and the contrast would be too great. The chrome is just fine.

That chrome ain't goin' anywhere. Hoyin, I agree with you. Would just be a bit too wannabe-stealth.

Excuse my ignorance. But what do the spacers do?

They sit between the wheel and the hub and serve to push the wheel out by a certain amount. As the GTS wheels sit a way within the arch it helps give the car a slightly wider stance and look a little more purposeful. By having a narrower track at the front I've also sharpened the turn-in a bit.

Falkner Springs down here near Chichester will make you lower springs for £80 a pair. All they need is an original so they can test the compression ratios and resistance. You can have them in any colour you like and stiffer or not. They make springs for GT3 and 4 racing plus formular cars so are pretty well regarded. Takes about 10 days.

Car looks really good with the spacers. Good choice.

Now that IS worth knowing. You ever used them, Barry?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Well they'd better be the dogs back springs then.

The forum eagerly awaits your perspective on the best way to drop a GTS by 12mm rear and 8mm front without making it "handle like a fish" (quoting a man I trust deeply on such matters). Also, what is the different between DF's £80 springs and FD's £1000 springs? And why does it matter?

Ta.

//A

BJL

Had them make a set for the QP which I still have but never used as I decided to go the full Bilstein route. Very easy to deal with and the product finish was excellent and identical to the originals.

Great family run firm.......man in white coat types, keen as **** on motor sport and know their stuff. Quoted me a couple of years ago £80 for a pair of fronts and £70 for a pair of rears to any stiffness and height plus if I wasn't happy once on the car they would retemper or adjust height for free until I was happy. Couldn't ask for more than that.

BJL

Had a track day on Maserati at Cobham in a 4.7 GTS QP and loved the handling so much and thought what a car that would be with the manual box from the GTS.
So after much pestering Meridien worked out how to change my complete set up from skyhook (which I still have complete in a box if anyone ever needs it) to the GTS Bilstein setup inc dampers, springs and upratred bearers etc. The factory worked out a new ecu protocol so the new set up was accepted and the difference was such that with the DMS map producing 447bhp and the GTS suspension it easily felt as quick as the 4.7 QP GTS I used at Cobham and handled exacly the same so well chuffed.

Prior to that track day I had intended to lower the suspension to match the stance of the 4.2 QP GTS which had the first gen Bilstein set up purely because like many on here I don't like the way Maseratis have a habit of showing their knickers.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Now for sale. Formula Dynamics spacers - 17mm at the back and 15mm fronts. See earlier in the thread for pictures. Although I'll naturally include the longer wheel bolts, I should point out that the coating isn't great and they're prone to surface corrosion. Chrome polish tends to keep it in check but if you're a perfectionist you'll want to get some new ones.

List price from FD is $650, so plus all the shipping, taxes, duties blah blah blah.

Offers over £250.

CatmanV2

Now for sale. Formula Dynamics spacers - 17mm at the back and 15mm fronts. See earlier in the thread for pictures. Although I'll naturally include the longer wheel bolts, I should point out that the coating isn't great and they're prone to surface corrosion. Chrome polish tends to keep it in check but if you're a perfectionist you'll want to get some new ones.

List price from FD is $650, so plus all the shipping, taxes, duties blah blah blah.

Offers over £250.

Incoming email, Mr C

C

Leachy

Looks fantastic! Where from and how much please???

That looks great, I'd like to do the same!
Where did you get the kit from
Please?
Regarding drilling out disk holes, are holes in line front to back?

Thanks

Here you go. According to the box they are 18mm at the back and 15 at the front. And according to me it's just about right. I think you can get away with being a bit more aggressive with spacers on white, red or black GTs, but the Grigio Afieri needs to be a bit more subtle, and these seem to do the job.

Before:

View attachment 30146

View attachment 30147

... after:

View attachment 30153

View attachment 30149

View attachment 30150

... and during. I took the opportunity of drilling the filth out of the holes in the disks.

View attachment 30151

View attachment 30152

The spacers also came with a set of longer stainless bolts:

View attachment 30145

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Leachy. I got mine from Formula Dynamics via the UK importer. They’re a piece of cake to fit. Wheels off, spacers on, wheels back on. The only drilling I did was drilling out the clogged holes in the disks while the wheels were off, which is nothing more than routine maintenance anyway.

As per my post above, my spacers are for sale if you’re interested. Should be available in a week or so when the wheels are off.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Now sold and soon to be appearing on a very lovely MC Shift (which will then become even lovelier).

Andyk

When I had mine they recommended putting a little grease between the spacer snd hub when fitting as they can be a bugger to get off later down the line. Obviously Adam didn't have a problem.