Spaced out

Morebeans

A few shades darker, I reckon Stuart. What with the chrome trim I need to be careful I don't end up doing a fifty shades of Grigio thing.

Andy, I *think* these may come up a bit between the gunmetal and anthracite. The contrast between my body colour and the wheels will be less than on your (gorgeous) GTV. It should work out ok but it's not cheap and I don't want to end up wishing I'd gone lighter. My wheels at the moment are about the same as the body colour. Ideally I'll be conspicuously darker than that. Too close it'll look like I aimed for the same colour and missed, too dark and it'll look like I wasn't brave enough to go black. Or am I over-thinking this..?

This may sound a little odd, but you could always just get one wheel done and live with it for a few days - if it's the right colour, then do the other three.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi MB. No, not at all. In fact, at this exact moment I'm wearing one brown suede shoe and one Wellington Boot. :smile:

Less facetiously, it is a good idea but I'm getting them done in a distant land, far, far away (Manchester) at the same time as the Wizards of Autoshield are casting their magic. So I'll get it done in one hit. Thanks to the crowd-designing capabilities of the forum, which seems to be leaning towards "gun-metal and stop dithering, yer tw@" I think I have my answer.

StuartW

It sounds like it's having quite the overhaul in the North West Adam, pre European tour I presume?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like it's having quite the overhaul in the North West Adam, pre European tour I presume?

That's it. A general checkover, new springs and wheel re-furb. Eventually opted for charcoal satin to get some contrast with the paint. Gunmetal would have been a bit to close. I abandoned the plan of lowering it - Autoshield reckon if you want to do that you need different, shorter springs. You can do it with standard ones but you'll **** the handling, so don't.

StuartW

That's it. A general checkover, new springs and wheel re-furb. Eventually opted for charcoal satin to get some contrast with the paint. Gunmetal would have been a bit to close. I abandoned the plan of lowering it - Autoshield reckon if you want to do that you need different, shorter springs. You can do it with standard ones but you'll **** the handling, so don't.

Sounds good advise, I bet you'll be itching to get her back and hit the European roads!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
It was a cracking drive up this morning. Beautiful sunrise, clear roads. A Euro-blast is what this car was made for. :smile:

safrane

Lot of 'Plod' in the background there...you been naughty testing out your newly serviced car then?

StuartW

Looking very nice Adam - I have to say though, now that the wheels have been done, those window surrounds would like fantastic in black in my opinion!

Well done on the wheels, they look great and I assume the drop link components arrived ok so good news

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Stuart. If I went for black window surrounds (or "chrome delete", as the tuning and tweaking fashionistas like to call it, for some reason which I find frankly mystifying) I think I'd start to feel a bit like my inner rapper was rising too much to the surface. If you see what I mean. However, I do have another idea for balancing the charcoal wheels with the rest of the car.

Yes, the drop-links came in. The old ones were ******. Flopped round like floppy things. Most unbecoming. The handling is transformed. Hadn't realised how bad it had gradually become. Many thanks to Frank and Dem for noticing something was amiss (I couldn't hear it from the front, and a couple of blokes in the back provided the extra weight "needed" to highlight an issue).

StuartW

Yes, we all have an inner rapper I think!!

Good to hear you're all sorted, in rude health and ready to go - it sounds like you're going to have a great road trip

Andyk

Adam, that looks amazing...So much better...That is how the car should have looked leaving the factory with the spacers....I'm am with Adam though dechrome the window surround would look good but then if that's not for you I get it.....Oh and I hate rap music...

hoyin

I don't think black surround would look good as your car is grey and the contrast would be too great. The chrome is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk