Rosso Mondiale GS

Classico

Nice pics Bruce.

Agree, red looks superb on the GS.

Looks sensational on the GT as well.

Must say though, have never seen one in the metal. Just so bloody rare to see any Masers in Oz.

G

Guest 1678

Tell us more Damon, how many miles has it, how long have you had it, what options does it have?
Looks gorgeous even in iffy weather.

Nov 2004 car, with black tech cloth interior - 5 owners in 5 years and then me. I have had her for the past 5 years. Mileage 44,000. Pedalled pretty hard during the Le Mans weekend and engine running as good as always. No evidence of a clutch replacement, so waiting for that to bite me.

Options mad when it was bought. Xenons, Memory Seats, Sat Nav, Stupid foot plate in the passenger footwell. Red painted callipers. I think there was nearly £5k on top of list.

Since I have had it - Rear lower arms replaced. Weeping head gasket. All wheels refurbished and parking knocks removed. BMC filter, but still running standard exhaust. Maranello 550 discs and braided hoses (absolute must) As Contigo says: "Is it turned on?"

Came back from Le Mans and now have a squeak from the front suspension - checked before I went for the dreaded lower arm cracks and no problem spotted. I am now suspicious.

Pretty standard and a keeper. Pictures on the original plates.

DSCF0555.jpgDSCF0557.jpgDSCF0559.jpg

BL330

Nice pics Bruce.

Agree, red looks superb on the GS.

Looks sensational on the GT as well.

Must say though, have never seen one in the metal. Just so bloody rare to see any Masers in Oz.

Maybe that's why people stop what they are doing and stare as you go by.

You'll enjoy the Club drive on the 18th then. I'll be there.

PS the GT was at the Sydney Motor Show, maybe 4 years ago.

BL330

Nov 2004 car, with black tech cloth interior - 5 owners in 5 years and then me. I have had her for the past 5 years. Mileage 44,000. Pedalled pretty hard during the Le Mans weekend and engine running as good as always. No evidence of a clutch replacement, so waiting for that to bite me.

Options mad when it was bought. Xenons, Memory Seats, Sat Nav, Stupid foot plate in the passenger footwell. Red painted callipers. I think there was nearly £5k on top of list.

Since I have had it - Rear lower arms replaced. Weeping head gasket. All wheels refurbished and parking knocks removed. BMC filter, but still running standard exhaust. Maranello 550 discs and braided hoses (absolute must) As Contigo says: "Is it turned on?"

Came back from Le Mans and now have a squeak from the front suspension - checked before I went for the dreaded lower arm cracks and no problem spotted. I am now suspicious.

Pretty standard and a keeper. Pictures on the original plates.

View attachment 30039View attachment 30040View attachment 30041

Very, very nice. Really bold interior. Not so sure about the kick plate in the passenger footwell. That would be the original discs before fitting the 550 ones.
I'm also considering braided hoses for when my SM discs are fitted. Why absolute must?

G

Guest 1678

Rubber perishes and pumping losses are magnified. I have braided on anything quick - motorbikes etc. Also, better brake feel as there is more resistance at the pedal.

They were the original discs before replacement.

whereskeith

I have to say the rosso is my fav colour too.... I couldn't find one in red so gave up and settled with black

Wattie

I love red cars too but have noticed that many red cars (all varieties) have appalling foggy pink panels of paintwork that you just don't see with other colours.
Why is this....does red react badly over time to UV?
Cheers Wattie

G

Guest 1678

Spot on Wattie - UV seems to have a detrimental impact on the pigment, not sure why. Honda seem particularly bad - maybe due to the numbers of red Civics sold?

I apply SwissVax at the beginning and the end every year and the paint seems to be holding up. She's in the garage between November and February. It is interesting that the SwissVax hardens and seems to become deeper. They recommend you leave it in the sun after waxing.

She's not washed everytime I drive and no fading. So not too onerous.

Ebenezer

My Mark 1 mondeo estate which I had for 17 years was originally red. Like Wattie says turned to foggy pink which offset the moss growing on it nicely!
Eb

safrane

It is also the case that few general cars are cleaned properly.

Drive through and hand car washes spray the car with traffic film remover which is basically a corrosive fluid. They then brush this in with hard nylon brushes or filthy wash mits that are also used to clean the wheels and so are full of brake dust (very abrasive particles).

The water based wax offers no protection at all, just helps to dry the car off.

As we are on drying, the hand car washes uses the same clothes time and time again which give you lovely swirl marks and the drive through blows all the dust and dirt you just washed off all over your car again after they rinsed it with recycled water.

This accelerates the aging of the paint and plastic components...just look at 10 year old cars poly-carbonate head light covers.

If you look at high end cars few is any look bad even red ones... unless owned by an uncaring bafoon.

CatmanV2

Red absorbs more blue light = shorter wavelength = higher frequency = more energy = more fading. [1]

It only reflects the lower energy red light. Which is why it appears, well, red :)

C

[1] Yes I know it's simplistic

GeoffCapes

Now this is nice. VERY nice.

http://www.adgsevenoaks.co.uk/used-car-maserati-gransport-coupe-1986

58432050.jpg

GeoffCapes

Only if Alastair drops his price by about 20 grand as I've only got 8 grand in the bank at the mo.

Contigo

Sponsor
I'm in if Alastair will take two 3200's part ex! Judging by the one at 20k with 51k miles it means I can do a straight swap for my one owner 37k miler? :)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I'm in if Alastair will take two 3200's part ex! Judging by the one at 20k with 51k miles it means I can do a straight swap for my one owner 37k miler? :)

Seriously? you would cash in both 32's for a GS.
You do surprise me thought you were a 32 man end off!

MAF260

Seriously? you would cash in both 32's for a GS.
You do surprise me thought you were a 32 man end off!

It's been a slow process with Phil, but our patience has paid off. Phil was in denial, so much that he bought a second 3200 to try to mask his true desire. He'll be in a GranSport before long!!