4200 CC with "Slight" misfire

spkennyuk

The original ad didn't say a simple fix. Just quoted that engine had a misfire. Hence the buyer was aware of a fault before the purchase. As I've already said if it can be proved the dealer knew full well it needed a new engine then it fall under misrepresentation.

Trading standards ? They have less bite than you think. Rogue / scam dealer that was reported and mentioned in another thread on here it took 4 months for them to shut down website down even though it was proved to be a blatant scam. Another case of a rogue dealer in the South Manchester area again mentioned on on another thread 18 months later after the first report to trading standards and the trader vanished overnight. leaving lots and lots of people out of pocket with cars of little more than scrap value. Trading standards were still scratching there............ at the time.

Sounds like I'm being harsh on trading standards but they are tied up in so much red tape that its difficult for them to act until they have several complaints in a short period of time. Thats why the Uk is such a nice place for con artists and scammers to target.

Wack61

Sorry, I meant in general, I've seen many cars advertised for well below their worth with simple fix in the description which begs the question if the simple fix adds money to the car why not fix it.

He's a dealer, somebody has spent time looking at that car , he knew exactly what was wrong with it , but with a good engine in it it's probably not far off the value it would have been if it was right

The trick is finding somebody to swap the engine for a reasonable rate, plus the old engine will have a value.

allandwf

Just shows research is paramount, these are not the type of cars to buy on a whim. If it's cheap it is cheap for a reason. Good luck getting it sorted though.

adrianr

I genuinely appreciate the inputs from those people who are trying to help me out. I can confirm the car is the one in this thread. I was certainly sold a car with a slight engine misfire - and not one that needed a full engine rebuild and replacement exhaust and cats. The dealer also told me that he had done a compression test and there was no issue - which I relied upon. I am considering my options in the light of all of the very helpful comments raised here.

spkennyuk

Hi Adrian. Sorry it's not better news on the car. Its worth having your mechanic do a comression test on it now. If that shows a clear problem and the numbers of 125-130 as quoted by GD13 earlier in the thread would indicate a problem. If the trader told you the car passed a compression test then this would also show they mislead you. Which should hopefully give you enough leverage with the trader to find a solution with you.

Try PM'ing member GD13 and see if he can fill in the blanks as he seemed to have reliable knowledge of the car. If he knows which independant diagnosed the car previously then that will help you case. I would also get your mechanic to write a report with the findings from the compression test including the actual numbers and any other finding. You will need it if it goes down a legal route.

As soon as you have a confirmation that a replacement engine is required then you need to make contact with the trader with your complaint. Don't leave it too long and I would put everything in writing including the mechanics report.

The trader may well offer to take the car back from you and reverse the deal. Sadly thats probably the best outcome for you. If they refuse and you need to pursue other options its worth remembering that many credit cards and insurance policies now come with free legal cover. They may be willing to act on your behalf without additional cost to you.

I hope it can all be resolved for you Adrian in a way that your happy with. It is a nice looking car and colour combo with the carbon steering wheel as well. It would be a shame if it is deemed beyond repair.