ADG Black GS

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, being on Maserati number 5, I have yet to have a clutch start slipping...ie the plate wears to or over 90+%

What tends to happen is the clutch cover spring fingers or tangs colapse.

I see them going around the 35% wear figure or about 15k miles so you can never tell with these clutches and if you get 25k miles out of the clutch in it you cant argue with that so wouldn't be too bothered about that clutch wear.

My Spyder came with 72% wear and shared your concerns so negotiated down the price to reflect this. I had it a year and put 8k miles on it then sold it to Andy who put another 10k miles on it and its still going strong with circa 90% wear.

D Walker

Thanks for that,
My passat has done 160k-still on clutch but obviously no where near the savagery!!

Dave

Ewan

My first QPV did at least 55k on its first clutch. I'd happily buy a Maser with a 57% clutch reading without a care.

drewf

My QPV has had a clutch reading of 100% for two years and 16k now. It's a nonsense number.

outrun

Yup, its nonsense. You can't read the "wear" on a normal car and therefore you wouldn't care. Just because the number is available, makes you worry about it. If you're truly that concerned, I'm not sure a CC gearbox is for you. Buying a car from a good reputation dealer or active, well known forum member is about all the guarantee you can get.

Needamaser

Got my car with approx. 50% wear reading and it packed in a week later. As Conaero says probably something collapsed suddenly.
Luck of the draw.

D Walker

Yup, its nonsense. You can't read the "wear" on a normal car and therefore you wouldn't care. Just because the number is available, makes you worry about it. If you're truly that concerned, I'm not sure a CC gearbox is for you. Buying a car from a good reputation dealer or active, well known forum member is about all the guarantee you can get.
It's not that I am worried about it. I was more posing the question to see if members had expierience of the " number" being relevant. And clearly it's not. Thanks for your advice.

GeoffCapes

If you're that worried negotiate a clutch change in the price. Giallo are next door (well behind) To ADG.

D Walker

Lol. I am not worried. I was merely garnishing some forum advice regarding the clutch wear number and it's relevance or not!!!

zagatoes30

My Spyder came with 72% wear and shared your concerns so negotiated down the price to reflect this. I had it a year and put 8k miles on it then sold it to Andy who put another 10k miles on it and its still going strong with circa 90% wear.

Well it's booked in for the clutch change now and I am pretty sure it will be worn out when it comes out as neither Matt nor I can find any evidence it has been replaced and its currently just on 54k miles

zagatoes30

Oh dear!!

?

Given the way it's been used 55k is a good mileage for a 4200 clutch, I was expecting to have to fit one last year at the latest so anything past that has been a plus point. By the time it goes in it will be the other side of 55k which is amazing given how low others have failed.

D Walker

?

Given the way it's been used 55k is a good mileage for a 4200 clutch, I was expecting to have to fit one last year at the latest so anything past that has been a plus point. By the time it goes in it will be the other side of 55k which is amazing given how low others have failed.
Ah-I see, I read it wrong!!

conaero

Forum Owner
So Zag all those clutch concerns that both you and i had the car did 15k miles and some new clutches dont even last that long, its a great example that one!

safrane

Its just a bit of plated tin and nothing like the old smooth nose 4200s.

Eurospares sell them on the website.