The good morning thread

MrMickS

Morning all,

A bit of heartburn and indigestion this morning so I've been awake ages. Looks like another lovely day up here so I think I'll be refuelling and heading off to find some good roads to drive on. Heading north I think, possibly Leyburn or that sort of area.

With all the hassle I've had I'm glad to say that all I need is to get behind the wheel and press the start button for the smiles to start. The only car that's come close to that in the past was the RX-8 but that was a completely different drive.

Have a good one

hoyin

You lot probably aren't interested. But I am going to see the Harry Potter play today. Starts at 1pm and finishes at 9pm! Going to be a long day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatmanV2

Morning all. Off to Chesham to see some old friends later.

8 *hours*, Hoyin? Bloody ****!

Have a great day, all!

C

rockits

Morning all. 8 hour play
...wow....enjoy

Need to measure up the workshop and make a decision if I want a 4 post lift in there!

2b1ask1

Special case
Morning all. 8 hour play
...wow....enjoy

Need to measure up the workshop and make a decision if I want a 4 post lift in there!

Headroom is the clincher; put your tallest car in the position, pop the bonnet up and measure the tall points, subtract that from the height of the garage at that point and you will see what lift you can look at having! I speak from experience...

IMG_3169.jpg

rockits

Headroom is the clincher; put your tallest car in the position, pop the bonnet up and measure the tall points, subtract that from the height of the garage at that point and you will see what lift you can look at having! I speak from experience...

View attachment 41552
Thanks Newton...it is too low really. You would get under it OK on roller chair sitting down but couldn't walk underneath standing up.

Can you walk under yours standing up? Or do you work on it sitting down?

I think the cost to modify existing roof which is corrugated asbestos sheets wouldn't be worth it. Might be better to build a 2nd building next to it the right size in the first place. Leaves this first building as perfectly working workshop without lift.

I wonder if there would be any demand for hiring a fully kitted workshop without lift? Also a 2nd with lift. Decisions decisions!

2b1ask1

Special case
Mine has 3.5 eves and a 4.0m ridge running across the garage which was the highest I could go without planning. The van is limited to working off a chair but the Mas will go head height with the bonnet shut. You can always combine with a pit.

rockits

Thanks. Very useful. I am now looking at maybe using the detached garage I have to be used for putting a lift inside instead. It is nowhere near the workshop but close to the house. Has a better base and masses of ceiling height already. The roof trusses would need slight modification above the car space/lift to create a vaulted ceiling but don't see that being an issue. Means either duplicating tooling/compressor etc. or moving kit from one to the other when needed but not too much of an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Would give me some nice secure parking in the garage for more cars without building more polytunnnels. Can also did what you have done to store one car on top of the other.

I have a remote garage door opener/motor that would need to be replaced with a roller garage door but I could re-use the old one of the garage extension so not too bad.

Nothing is really obvious and easily workable as all options need some work, money and modifications but it is just working out the best options for functionality, cost and ease/speed of initial works.

This is the garage option:

d8201de2c8b8bbbea20b23abc9a1fe43.jpg

8bebc00d7bf74719fbb82483bdf60379.jpg

This is workshop option:

47d6e1730a12d076db4a29828893f476.jpg

GeoffCapes

Morning, er afternoon all. Epic night of drunkenness last night. Feeling a bit jaded today but have things to do before we go to Iceland on Wednesday.

No rest for the wicked.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have a scissor lift that lifts to 1200mm

It sounds great and is for working in the arches but as you say it's not enough to stand and you end up scrabbling around on your **** and is very uncomfortable to work under but I just don't have the height.

rockits

I think it is going to be garage option. Seems to make most sense. Just needed to make the decision before finishing the workshop off.

I have power to both with 40amp going to workshop with underground 25m SWA cable. I have 60amp going to garage.

Garage it is then.....best crack on and finish the workshop then!

Spartacus

Thats one **** of a roof rack Newton

Thanks Newton...it is too low really. You would get under it OK on roller chair sitting down but couldn't walk underneath standing up.

Can you walk under yours standing up? Or do you work on it sitting down?

I think the cost to modify existing roof which is corrugated asbestos sheets wouldn't be worth it. Might be better to build a 2nd building next to it the right size in the first place. Leaves this first building as perfectly working workshop without lift.

I wonder if there would be any demand for hiring a fully kitted workshop without lift? Also a 2nd with lift. Decisions decisions!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Just finished retrimming the the panel across the top of the windscreen that holds the interior light on the spyder. Over the years the backing plastic had fractured and the covering had torn. I welded up the backing panel on Friday using the stainless mesh that melts into the plastic and stabilises the crack and then trimmed it in black vinyl over the weekend. It came out fantasticly well but it was quite fiddly getting the vinyl tight enough to stretch out any bulges and creases but slack enough to adhere to the panel's contours. Well worth doing but it's only temporary as I will be getting that panel, the two windscreen side panels and the dash top done in black leather.

rockits

Picked the hybrid up on Thursday afternoon. Hasn't been driven for 2 months properly. Just started, warmed up and short drive.

Gave it a wash, warmed up and gave it a nice long drive. Drives really well. Great VFM. Couple of sticky gear changes. Might change the gearbox oil as I guarantee it wasn't changed in the last two years. I know it has had services/oil changes and other works.

Not a difficult job and worth doing. The hybrid still looks great. Stopped off in the petrol station and got asked by guy having his car washed what it was and who made it. Always appreciative comments and interest.