Resetting Tyre Sensor - GranTurismo

Classico

So one of my tyres was low on psi.

Pumped them all back up above 32 psi, but every time I start the car, I have an annoying beep from the Tyre sensor indicator showing me the read-out for all tyres.

How do I get rid of this?

Have read up various methods on the web, from pushing some button on the ceiling of cabin with a tyre on it (can't see one).

To cycling through the options via "Mode" button.

All don't seem to apply to my '08 GT.

Any help appreciated.

bigbob

Does yours show the pressure for each tyre? If so when you press mode I believe five times it will show these pressures and I think you press the + button and hold to reset.

Bell

Have had a similar problem in the past.

' tyre psi all on one menu. Unfortunately as soon as I press + on this screen, it simply increases the dash lighting illumination.

BigR

Could well be. Will see if a few more start ups clears it.

Bloody annoying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Could be given the age. The batteries for TPMS systems tend to last in the 5+ year range. That said, there are two types of TPMS system, one of which doesn't use batteries and I've no idea which Maserati use. I imagine the one that is more expensive to maintain i.e. with batteries!

Ryandoc

Surely a manufacturer wouldn't use the pressure sensor cap type? That's more aftermarket system stuff. Main type is that which measures the wheels rolling radius.

If it's the rolling radius type then you usually have to be sat with engine on but stationary and then one press of a button and all 4 reset at the same time

bigbob

The rolling radius ones (use the ABS sensors) are the cheap ones and are okish but need a big pressure drop to activate. Maserati use the expensive system in each valve which measures individual pressures. It's a great system but the batteries do fail with time as has been said.

Having ripped a tyre sidewall in a pothole on my GTS I know which I prefer.

Ryandoc

I always thought the radius type was the better so that's an education to me. I know there was a big improvement from my BMW E46 years ago to the two E92's I had. The E46 was temperamental but the E92 worked well.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Just read in EVO that they may be making faulty TPMS systems an MOT fail..

I heard the same from Autoshield. If you have a TPMS it has to work. Autoshield also commented that it is a bit of a pain in the rear - great when it works, but not otherwise.

Classico

So tyres all above 32 psi but the annoying beep still happens on fire up.

Funny thing is it does throw up the individual psi levels which all show they are fine.

One for the annual service methinks (which is coming up within a few months).

bigbob

I always thought the radius type was the better so that's an education to me. I know there was a big improvement from my BMW E46 years ago to the two E92's I had. The E46 was temperamental but the E92 worked well.

Depends on your preference but knowing the exact pressures helps on a performance car IMHO.

I believe faults are an MOT fail but fair enough. My local tyre fitter reckons he can supply and replace the sensors. My car is coming up to four years old so I guess in a couple of years time I will find out.

Classico

Update. Re-read the manual (fancy that lol)

Located button on roof (far right button in the roof console)

Depressed for five seconds. Light saying Calibration enabled.

Drove 15 minutes.

Went to start the car again.

Hey Presto. No more psi warning. No more worrying about buying new sensors (for now.)

Happy days. Think what was throwing me was a Youtube video showing a completely different procedure for TPMS on later models. Totally different procedure for my GT.

bigbob

Update. Re-read the manual (fancy that lol)

Located button on roof (far right button in the roof console)

Depressed for five seconds. Light saying Calibration enabled.

Drove 15 minutes.

Went to start the car again.

Hey Presto. No more psi warning. No more worrying about buying new sensors (for now.)

Happy days. Think what was throwing me was a Youtube video showing a completely different procedure for TPMS on later models. Totally different procedure for my GT.

That's the same as for the QPV. Never knew the early GranTurismo did this.

CLRut

Good morning all

A quick TPMS query if possible; I am consistently getting pressure readings on my display whilst the temperature is sub 12-13c; in other words, both when the tyres are warming up from cold and then when the ambient temperature outside is borderline cool/cold. Is this usual? It's helpful getting the reading initially when I first drive off (often early morning when current temperatures are 7-10c), but to still have the sensor readings popping up, and the warning light showing, sometime after this is surprising. It no longer reads any issue once the temp is above 13c and the pressures are almost always 35-35PSI consistently at each corner as I believe they should be.

Thanks in advance. Craig

CatmanV2

No it's not normal but the TPMS system uses the ambient temperature sensor to calculate safe tyre pressures
1) Have you checked the pressures independently?
2) Have you done a re-calibration of the TPMS system (by holding the button near the roof for a few seconds)

If the answer is yes to both those, I think you probably need it looked at.

Hopefully Voicey or similar will chip in

C

CLRut

Thanks Catman - will try to do the recalibration thing over the weekend; most strange as it never appears when above 13c, and the car is < 18 months old. I will also check the tyre pressure at the same time.

Craig