Question of the day

zagatoes30

Dragnet and Big surely were both bigger than $20

Everytime We Say Goodbye was an early (85, 86) lesser known Hanks film so a possible

spkennyuk

Every film starring Tom Hanks has made more than $20m, apart from two, which were released 30 years apart; name either of them. (The two in question made $4.3m and $670,000; Forrest Gump made $702m.)

The recent one called "The Circle" was possibly a USA release only and its rubbish so that could be the more recent one. Earlier film going off about 30 years ago possibly "The Money Pitt" ?

Tom Hanks is supossed to have a quirk where he has to take a pee in a scene in most of his films. No idea why he does it. Useless fact of the day. Lol

zagatoes30

Sorry been away.

On the same theme - Most people know the top grossing films, all bar one of the top 20 grossers are this century, but what is the top grossing film when adjusted for inflation?

spkennyuk

Sorry been away.

On the same theme - Most people know the top grossing films, all bar one of the top 20 grossers are this century, but what is the top grossing film when adjusted for inflation?

Frankly I dont give a d*mn ? :laugh:

Gone with the wind i would suspect.

midlifecrisis

Frankly I dont give a d*mn ? :laugh:

Gone with the wind i would suspect.

You're probably right but I'll say something more modern, Star Wars: A New Hope...on the premise that it got re-released in the 90's with new fancy graphics etc and that either both combined would be counted as oone, or that the 1990's version would have been watched by the original and new audiences. (or am I thinking too hard here?)

Ah now
'the latin alphabet' has 16 letters in it but I suspect you are not after that
So do you mean Greek, Roman, South American by latin or any combination?
Memory tells me there are 20 letters in the Greek alphabet so there are two guesses for the price of one!

spkennyuk

Ah now
'the latin alphabet' has 16 letters in it but I suspect you are not after that
So do you mean Greek, Roman, South American by latin or any combination?
Memory tells me there are 20 letters in the Greek alphabet so there are two guesses for the price of one!

Roman Latin alphabet im looking for. Not the correct number so far.

zagatoes30

Just asked a friend who is a classics graduate - that's 30 minutes of my life I won't get back - still no wiser but somewhere between 16 & 27 dependent on which Latin alphabet and when.

spkennyuk

Briannica and omniglot both quote a specific number for the Roman Latin alphabet.

I hope my facts are right as i used the same question in a pub quiz i wrote yesterday ! :laugh:

More than 20 less than 26.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I'm guessing 24, because I somehow remember there is no 'J' and there is bound to be one other missing letter....

spkennyuk

Time to move this question on. Short explaination below. More in depth explainations from Britannica and other online sources.

The Romans used just 23 letters to write Latin: There were no lower case letters at first, and K, Y and Z used only for writing words of Greek origin. The letters J, U and W were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin.

Markmas was the closest with 24. Over to you