Question of the day

spkennyuk

Nope but his scores were marked over 55 meters in the 88 Olmpics so thats pretty close to his Olympics personal best.

A British bloke nicknamed mad max has achieved 130 meters but it was during a testing session so sadly doesnt count as a record.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
1956 Summer Olympics were held in Melbourne, Australia, and were the first to be held outside Europe or North America. The athletics events took place at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, but where did the equestrian events take place?

GeoffCapes

Brilliant question. But as I know the answer I shall abstain.
I remember this being set a quiz question at work many moons ago. One of my colleagues actually got it right! Even though the rest of our team said he was bonkers!

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I hadn't realised it was such a well-known question - I only stumbled across it by chance last week. While we give the others a chance to guess, here is a supplementary Olympic question for those who know the 1956 answer already:

At the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris, Belgian Léon de Lunden took gold in the pigeon shoot; how many pigeons did he kill?

zagatoes30

I hadn't realised it was such a well-known question - I only stumbled across it by chance last week. While we give the others a chance to guess, here is a supplementary Olympic question for those who know the 1956 answer already:

At the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris, Belgian Léon de Lunden took gold in the pigeon shoot; how many pigeons did he kill?

I am assuming that in those days they shot real pigeons rather than clays they do today

Navcorr

The '56 question is a corker for non-sporty types but otherwise fairly well known.
How many pidgeons shot - don't know the exact number but I'd guess at "just enough" for a lunch :)

2b1ask1

Special case
I imagine this would be in a Germanic style where captive birds are released in batches to fly across the guns so it is likely to be a couple of hundred. Would seem like a massacre to our eyes today!

spkennyuk

1956 summer olympics equestrian events. No idea where they were held but i think it was down to the quarantine regulations that they were held in a different country.