Question of the day

MrPea

What do these non-English words mean and in which languages?

1. biche – Deer (French)
2. coque – shell (or hull) in French (Navcorr)
3. damit – with that (or thus) in German (MrPea)
4. dick – fat in German (midlifecrisis)
5. faca – "Do it" (Portuguese, and I should have known that)
6. fahrt – go/way in German (MrPea)
7. kant – Side/edge (Dutch)
8. mannshaft – team in German (MrMickS)
9. phoque – seal in French (JonW)
10. pr1ck – Dot (Swedish)
11. slagroom – Whipped Cream (Dutch)
12. 5lut – End (Dutch) or Final (Swedish)

Anyone? Or do I have to give it to MrPea with 2/12?

Well, I guess to move it on, I've done some googling to fill in the others... rather funny. Nice question and one to remember for appropriate conversation.

JonW

I have a vague memory that Scafell Pike is something like 10,065 feet.???

That would surprise me, as that's almost 3,000 metres. I thought Scafell and Snowdon were both in the region of 1,000m (c. 3300 ft), and Ben Nevis was almost half as high again (so 1,500m, or 5,000 ft)...

As such, my guesstimate for all three would be 11,600 ft...

Caldy999

Ben Nevis obviously highest, not sure it's as high as 1500 metres(????) but nearer 4000 ft. Snowdon almost as high, say 3500 ft and Scafell the baby at say 3300ft. Total 10800 ft in old money.

Thread drift..... walked Striding Edge a few years back and couldn't believe who else was up there - pregnant women, little kids, dogs, dads with kids in backpack - madness.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Well, I guess to move it on, I've done some googling to fill in the others... rather funny. Nice question and one to remember for appropriate conversation.

Thanks for bringing this to a graceful end, MrPea.

faça is indeed 'do it' in Portuguese, but faca is also knife (hence navalha, punhal, canivete)
faca is also make in Romanian, apparently

MrPea

Not too far off chaps, but I'm not asking for the combined height of the peaks, rather the total metres or feet climbed - you don't start them at sea level unless you're more nuts and would like to run from somewhere at sea level to the base of each hill/mountain!

JonW

Not too far off chaps, but I'm not asking for the combined height of the peaks, rather the total metres or feet climbed - you don't start them at sea level unless you're more nuts and would like to run from somewhere at sea level to the base of each hill/mountain!

Confused - doesn't this vary depending on where people start and finish each climb from, and the route they take?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Confused - doesn't this vary depending on where people start and finish each climb from, and the route they take?

I wondered about that.

I've now looked it up and there is only one suggested route up Ben Nevis, and two suggested routes up Snowdon (with the same height climbed). Of the two suggested routes for Scafell Pike, one is only 7m more climbing than the other.

spkennyuk

Does anyone have a better answer than this?

11601 feet :)

I have no idea really but if you have to deduct what height the base is at above sea level then i would guess at 10900 feet in total.

If your including the extra steps via the suggested assent routes rather than straight up height then i would guess around13250 feet.

Complete guesses but its all ive got.

spkennyuk

Looks like we are on question of the week again rather than question of the day. :laugh:

Remember the rule was at the start if the question hasnt been answered by the following day/ 24hrs then reveal and set another question.

It helps to keep the thread flowing and the odd quick fire question session helps too.