Boost activated exhaust cutout valve

Danny

Is there anyone on this forum who has a boost activated exhaust cutout valve fitted to a turbocharged car (like the 3200)? E.g. a valve like this one?

$_12.JPG

Danny

I would prefer a set which can also be overruled by the push of a button e.g. this one (see link). Although it will probably require quite some fiddling. First of all the welding of the valve into an Y-section, subsequently fitting the Y section into the current exhaust set-up and finally connecting it all: turbohose from valve to .....? Furthermore, I prefer to have no additional buttons in my car, so I would want to have it connected to one of the buttons that is currently not in use (e.g. the one next to the ASR-off button)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Exhaust-Control-Valve-Cutout-2-3-60mm-Pipe-Closed-With-Boost-Actuator-with-Wireless-Remote-Controller/32300340163.html

CatmanV2

Not sure you can override it in both directions. Looks like you can stop it opening but not force it, if that makes sense.

I looked at electric valves for the 4200 and came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work out that cheap....

C

Danny

The one I posted can indeed not be overrided for both positions. Default setting (for this one) is closed. If you switch it off, then it will stay closed, which is what I want (I think). I.e.: no noise, also no noise under accelleration. If you switch it on, then there would only be noise under accelleration. Not while starting the car, stationary or while cruising.

The electric valve would provide more control indeed. But that one can't be set in such a way that it only opens under accelleration....

CatmanV2

The one I posted can indeed not be overrided for both positions. Default setting (for this one) is closed. If you switch it off, then it will stay closed, which is what I want (I think). I.e.: no noise, also no noise under accelleration. If you switch it on, then there would only be noise under accelleration. Not while starting the car, stationary or while cruising.

The electric valve would provide more control indeed. But that one can't be set in such a way that it only opens under accelleration....

I stand corrected :)

C

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep it remains closed mainly until boost pressure is realised (not sure if this is hard coded or manually set that would be the hard part controlling when the cutout valve actually opens) but form the results I have seen online it looks like a mad way of realising some extra horses. It would be ******* loud though, as loud as mine at the moment then a little more!

2b1ask1

Special case
The valve featured works of positive pressure not vacuum though I believe. It is perfectly reasonable to fit vacuum operated ones however, just picking up from the servo system. I think it is easiest to go 12v electronic though...

Mount toggles under drivers seat and pick up the live feed to the seat for power.

Danny

You can order both, vacuum or boost controlled. I had a vacuum controlled valve fitted to the Capristo exhaust of my F355 Spider, and that one worked a treat. I would guess that in a turbo charged car like the 3200, the boost controlled valve would be preferred against a vacuum one as you would only want to have the noise under accelleration = if and when the turbo's kick in.

That is also the reason why I would prefer it over an electronic set-up, as the latter one will be either fully open all the time or fully closed all the time (i.e. unless you would want to manually switch it off/on all the time while driving).

highlander

so I would want to have it connected to one of the buttons that is currently not in use (e.g. the one next to the ASR-off button)

QUOTE]

is that not the ejector button for the passenger seat?.................I just thought mines was broken ;)

jluis

Would it not cause problems in an MOT?
They would see the open exhaust pipes from underneath