Ferrari 456 on the up ?

philw696

Just looking around it seems to me the 456 is appreciating.
There's never a lot for sale but the ones that are demanding strong money.
I think the days of getting a good one for 25K are gone.

allandwf

I would tend to agree. I have been keeping am eye on the prices for a while. All the low twentys ones are gone, even the ones that were reasonably priced in Euros have all but gone. I think they have been dragged up by the speculative pricing of the other models. Last year you could see Testarossas for sale around 50-60k look at them now, 355s are another example were kicking around for 30-40k, not now. I just hope it's not going to go the way it all did in the late eighties.

philw696

Hindsight I should have put mine into hibernation would do better than my pension funds.

philw696

I bought mine after reading about the one for 17K on Pistonheads.
Wonder if he still has that one ?

Contigo

Sponsor
My mate has a lovely blue manual one and he was going to sell it at the time I bought my 3200 off him. He decided to keep it and it looks like it has paid off well.

Contigo

Sponsor
I bought mine after reading about the one for 17K on Pistonheads.
Wonder if he still has that one ?

Yes Phil, according to the original pistonheads article he does.

"Thanks for the enquiries as to the well being of the 456, it has indeed been been dry stored for the winter but is scheduled to emerge very soon. When it does it will have the centre exhaust boxes replaced by some Bradan straight pipes that i bought off a fellow PH'er last year. Will make sure I post up a quick vid of how it aounds... Watch this thread"

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1153135

Andyk

Such a beautiful car and one that has been overlooked for some time as the 2 seaters seem to be the ones that have shot up but as EVO has said buy now as they will surely go one way......

philw696

Probably one of the last proper car's ever built with the best materials etc but even costing upwards of 150K they aren't perfect but a proper car and proud to say I had one and took part in the Silverstone world record with her.
Definitely no MR2.

bigbob

Great looking cars but like all these situations a lot of people are now investing to make money rather than buy and cherish/enjoy which is always a warning sign and means that prices will have a lot more volatility both up and down.

PS I've really enjoyed watching the Classic Car Show but I can't believe how QW states with absolute certainty that so and so is going up from £50k to £100k soon. Should sit the financial advice exams and get regulated. Wonder if Warrantywise will fund all the class actions against him when the maket bombs?

MAF260

Looks like the prices are being dragged up with everything else Ferrari. For a long time the 456 languished in the less desirable Ferrari section along with Mondials and 348s - there was a reason for this. Anyone thinking of buying while prices are inflating should be wary - these will be the first cars to drop off a cliff when the market changes again. 456s have never appealed, I really dislike the looks.

bigbob

Looks like the prices are being dragged up with everything else Ferrari. For a long time the 456 languished in the less desirable Ferrari section along with Mondials and 348s - there was a reason for this. Anyone thinking of buying while prices are inflating should be wary - these will be the first cars to drop off a cliff when the market changes again. 456s have never appealed, I really dislike the looks.

People are now buying using spreadsheets rather than passion for a classic. Agree about dropping off when it all goes wrong. For people looking for a modern (ish) classic to enjoy rather than put in the safe, I really like the BMW 840/850.

Andyk

Never understood why this car has been less popular.......Its a lovely shape and looks better than some of their other cars of that era.....Suppose its the same with most 4 seat Ferrari's......

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Bmw 8 series, lovely pillerless design.
Always thought the Alpina V12 would look good in a personal collection (in my dreams!)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
It appears to be an optimistic market at the moment.
Anything unusual or slightly rare, lets have a go!