Most unique Maserati?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Not for me. Another cochon from the french era; the big green bollox scattered under the bonnet are a bit of a give away. The 'C' pillar design is a bit cumbersome and the dog-sh!t brown interior doesn't do it for me either. The fact there were only 13 made and, despite the rarity, 9 were allowed to die, says it all.

Classico

Not a fan either of that design, even though creature comforts wise, seemed ahead of its time.

IMO, Maser never did straight line design very well. This. The Bi-Turbo era.

Phil H

It's been offered a few times, usually for round £90k-£120k. I took these at NEC in 2011:

QP.jpgQP 2.jpg

Given its age it's in nice condition although has very limited appeal.

PH

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
The dash board, even from that era, is truly awful. It would drive me round the bend, staring at that car crash. Gopping.

highlander

Making a habit of this so must be coming down with something, I agree with Benny, adds nothing to the marque kudos IMO.

Andyk

seen it for sale before unles sit just never sold...Never liked it then and don't now. Not one of Maseratis finest designs.

Phil H

From a previous Christie's auction listing:

"Unfortunately the Quattroporte II remained as a prototype. Some people say only one car was produced other sources say 13. Both opinions are right, the first prototype, Chassis number 002, was never finished completely as it was used for crash testing and was destroyed. The second prototype, the car offered here, is the sole car which was built to perfection including digital instruments, a wooden dashboard and the very special magnesium wheels. Furthermore Chassis number 004 was the car presented to the public at the Maserati stand on the Paris Motor show in October 1974. Due to various problems on the financial side and with the homologation of the new prototype, Maserati decided to produce with the remaining parts a limited series of 11 cars which were sold to the Middle East, although these cars did not have a lot in common with the first prototype. In order to keep the financial damage as limited as possible these cars were fitted with various older parts from the Quattroporte I.

It is believed that the factory sold this car to an Italian dealer and the present owner purchased the car in 1997 from Autosport Bologna, Italy. Due to a lack of time, he has used and showed the Quattroporte very rarely, but always at prestigious events such as the Cartier Style et Luxe concourse during the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2000 and 2005."

PH

Ebenezer

Really??? Each to their own and all that.

View attachment 27829View attachment 27830

Thanks Geoff!
ooh that really floats my boat, perhaps in a darker colour. Always reminded be of the pink panther car. What was that?
Similar to the QP in that its got a looong bonnet four doors and a small boot. Just how I used to draw cars when I was a kid. (also with lots of exhaust pipes). Can't have too many exhaust pipes...
However the QPV is luscious