Vinyl wrapping

Sinky

What are the views of members on vinyl wrapping ?
Don't think I would ever get it done on my car but having seen a few you tube clips of Lambos getting it done, on the face of it, looks impressive.

CatmanV2

I've been tempted, but mostly because my paint is not in the best of nick.

Otherwise I wouldn't

C

Andyk

NOt a faqn of it after seeing a few friends cars after it has been taken off....Damaged paint.....but that was some time ago so things may have improved with the product over the years. I suppose if you have an older car where the paint ain't great it is a good way of covering up.

2b1ask1

Special case
I was never a fan of wrapping; that is until I needed a quick solution to peeling paint on my front wing before the Modena trip. I have to say it was cheap, very effective and is lasting very well indeed.... I suppose I'm a convert!

highlander

If done well it could bring something to a car IMO but tbh I have not seen many done well enough to make me consider it. Only takes one little bit flapped over or a little crease/bubble and the whole thing looks pants.

MAF260

I saw 2 different wrapped GTRs at Litchfield on Friday. One was a matt/satin grey which looked excellent, it was impossible to see any of the original colour, any joins etc. The guy said it cost him £3k and that the wrappers had the car for 2 weeks, removing as many panels, trim etc as possible. That's borderline total colour change respray price, but really looked effective with all the carbon fibre goodies he'd added.
The second car was matt/satin blue with carbon fibre effect mirrors, spoiler, skirts etc. It looked like Stevie Wonder had led a team of 3 year-olds to do the job. Really poor edges showing the original colour, blisters in the vinyl, overlapping; just generally shite. I couldn't believe it when I was told the owner had paid somebody £1,900 for the privilege!!

I've heard too many horror stories about wraps to ever consider having one of my cars done.

roger102

This is near me, looks OK and I guess done over there, Canada know how to wrap cars because of the extreme roads. I consult for a Co that has 2 wrapped show cars and neither is great IMO.
image.jpg

Classico

The service centre manager at Ferrari/Maserati once showed me the effects of a wrapped car in the on-site workshop.

Absolute nightmare to remove and thousands of dollars to restore paint.

Any distant thoughts of maybe wrapping the Maser disappeared there and then.

Greg Bowman

The service centre manager at Ferrari/Maserati once showed me the effects of a wrapped car in the on-site workshop.

Everything said on here is true I have a small stake in a body shop, we have a paint based process that is derived from the rubber coating you get on handles of tools. Some guys in Manchester have developed it. Looks good and no side effects plus cheaper ad better because it is sprayed on.sprayed wrap.jpg

Greg Bowman

Something like that, the story is I think that you can get a US product but they Manchester guys have refined it or worked with a paint manufacturer to get a better product. takes two days and costs about £1500 so cheaper and better.

The Audi has had it on for a month and it seems to have held up

Mr.Cambio

Not an expert here, but surely there will be different qualities of folie that "maybe" will not make a disaster after removing it. Besides, when removing, i suppose that it must be done while heating the surface first.