Nav/Radio/Window button,Ac vents Restoration 4200

Vampyrebat

Don't hate me! I'm just the messenger :)

How did you manage to mask out the black parts or can you separate them? I tried to separate but was too scared I might break them........I don't hate you yet because I'm only 40% finished!........So if I can do it easier/quicker!

Stu

CatmanV2

If you remove the vents from the dash, they come apart quite easily. At least the rear and side ones do. The center ones are a total PITA

C

Vampyrebat

That's good to hear!!.........Why did they give it that finish??? It is such a pain to clean them cause all bits of cloth just stick to them. The steering wheel cowling got so bad that I ended up cleaning the texture off with white spirits............Took a long time!

Stu

CatmanV2

That's good to hear!!.........Why did they give it that finish??? It is such a pain to clean them cause all bits of cloth just stick to them. The steering wheel cowling got so bad that I ended up cleaning the texture off with white spirits............Took a long time!

Stu

Soft touch finish innit

C

CatmanV2

Soft touch finish innit

More like treacle in the summer!!............Thanks Mr. C, will give it a try rather than the beauty products!!

Stu

Just to be clear I was referring specifcally to the chrome surrounds. I *did* do the soft plastic on the vents as well with meths, wire wool and satin black rattle can. If you want a proper finish, talk to Lprenzo who can do you a fully re-furbed set very reasonably

C

LORENZ-GS

Just to be clear I was referring specifcally to the chrome surrounds. I *did* do the soft plastic on the vents as well with meths, wire wool and satin black rattle can. If you want a proper finish, talk to Lprenzo who can do you a fully re-furbed set very reasonably

C
Chris is spot on. Im a retired guy doing this on the side so theres no overhead. I have a designated area in my garage for this. I will always be less expensive and more reasonable.

Vampyrebat

Chris is spot on. Im a retired guy doing this on the side so theres no overhead. I have a designated area in my garage for this. I will always be less expensive and more reasonable.

Hi Larry
Sounds like a nice little hobby!
As I mentioned before, I actually prefer to leave the chrome bits striped back to the plastic but at the moment am having a real problem trying to remove the cup holder to get the remainder of the chrome off. Also can't figure out how to get the side vents out. The actual vent slides out easily but it's the outer part with the chrome ring I cannot fathom. Any tips how to get them out without breaking them?
Stu

CatmanV2

From memory:
Get the vent out, then you should see some tabs in the outer tube, if you see what I mean.

Gently prise them up and pull on the outer tube.

C

LORENZ-GS

Hi Larry
Sounds like a nice little hobby!
As I mentioned before, I actually prefer to leave the chrome bits striped back to the plastic but at the moment am having a real problem trying to remove the cup holder to get the remainder of the chrome off. Also can't figure out how to get the side vents out. The actual vent slides out easily but it's the outer part with the chrome ring I cannot fathom. Any tips how to get them out without breaking them?
Stu
The outer vents pull rite out and sometimes the housing/chrome ring comes out with it. If not use your fingers to hug the inside walls of the housing and it should come out. Theres a felt ring around it that may be holding it up. As for the inner vents, theres 3 tabs on the inside. Get a flash light to find them at 10, 2 and 6 oclock. Pry those tabs in then pull out the vent. NOTE; Most of the times those tabs break but they can be epoxied back.

Vampyrebat

Thanks both
Yes I have seen these clips and thought they were for retaining the inner vents. I will give it a careful try but looks very tricky and I have skinny hands!!
Any idea with the cup holder? I have tried twisting and pulling. I have taken the ash tray out and can't see any fixings.

Thanks again really appreciate your help on this.
Stu

LORENZ-GS

Thanks both
Yes I have seen these clips and thought they were for retaining the inner vents. I will give it a careful try but looks very tricky and I have skinny hands!!
Any idea with the cup holder? I have tried twisting and pulling. I have taken the ash tray out and can't see any fixings.

Thanks again really appreciate your help on this.
Stu
Whatever you do dont pull on it. It will break...The ashtray is bolted in from underneath. Your better off removing the console which is not to bad of a job. Heres a pic

Attachments

• CAM00367.jpg
    CAM00367.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 139

LORENZ-GS

I have had a few members reach out to me so i thought id post up that i have 2 sets of buttons ready to go,,Thanks