Some advice please

goddo

Good evening all, I have been looking in on this forum for some time now with the intention of looking at buying a second hand GT. Having had, among others, an Aston DB9 and a Bentley Continental GT before, I an currently rattling around in a two year old Jaguar XFR which, while it is very practical, not bad on mpg and reasonable servicing costs, is not what I call an exciting car. One which makes you smile when you turn the ignition key and with an exhaust note to remove the need for in-car entertainment. In my eyes Maserati GT's are very pretty cars with ample performance for my personal needs.
My current situation means that I am looking in the £40-£45k bracket and that in turn means that I am not quite into the 4.7 engines just yet. My questions are:
1) Should I wait until the 4.7 version is affordable?
2) Are the later 4.2's just as good for the vast majority of the time?
3) Can someone tell me whether Skyhook suspension is a must or a no-no?
4) I don't see too many contributions on this forum regarding the GT's. Is this because I am on the wrong forum or are they less popular with Maserati owners?
5) Why, oh why, do so many of them on the second hand market have red leather interiors? I have only seen a handful in tan and a few in black.
There is one particular car on Autotrader in metallic grey with ivory interior but it has been sitting there for some time now almost hinting that it's not a good punt. Am I wrong to think that?
Anyway, I have rambled for too long but any advice or pointers from you knowledgeable guys would be greatly appreciated

Contigo

Sponsor
Welcome Goddo. There are plenty on here with GT's so don't be put off!

I think you are right on the edge of top 4.2 and leggy 4.7 territory there but the advice seems to be drive them! The thing with Maserati is that they don't have to be driven at the limit to make it an event. Most owners potter and just love the feeling they get from the car be it a 4.2 or 4.7!

maverick

Send a pm to Richard grace , he has a few cars and maybe able to source one for you , he only buys the very best so you wouldn't get a lemon .

Ewan

The forum is dominated by the 4200 posse, but don't let that worry you - it is the best Maserati forum. For your money, a 4.7 is certainly possible, and indeed, preferable. It'll hold it's value better also, as long as you don't rack the miles up too high.

And in 4.7 guise, red interiors are very rare. It's generally only the early and lower priced 4.2's that have the red interior. Contact the likes of Richard Grace, Nuvola etc and get them on the hunt for what you want in your budget. Something will come up.

Fangio63

Welcome Goddo (where have you been ! )....

For your money you are certainly in 4.7 territory ... just.. But if it were me I'd be going for a minty 4.2 rather than a ropey 4.7.. and possibly keep some in hand for a Larini exhaust (if you're mad for the noise)...get one with valves ..

Red was popular on the 4.2's I think because all the dealer demo cars I saw were Nero/Rosso.. or Granito/Rosso.. or Silver/ Rosso and I guess quite a few people ordered what they'd seen in the showroom..
Cuoio (Tan) looks great on these with a dark exterior... and the darker red is easy to live with too Esp with Grey outside...If you can find one... Anyway - a personal choice..

In my view - regardless of miles its all about condition... these stand up pretty well to use.. but avoid the abused ones.. there are a few out there with 19" wheels... and if you buy one I bet you'll change those..

Skyhook wasn't standard on the 4.2.. but i doubt you'll see one without..
The Bose upgrade Audio not brilliant but better than the standard kit and worth having (Some will say a sound system is a bit redundant on these - you won't ever use it)

Engines pretty bullet proof.. but look out for lippy brake discs, worn pads. and noisy suspensions.... all pricey to fix....

A couple of Forum members just gone through this... So they are probably the experts in whats out there for sale right now..

But Nuvola, Richard Grace, ADG ... depending on where you are - all come highly recommended..

Personally, I'd be happy buying privately.. but inspection of the main areas of potential expense a good idea - as well as forensic examination of any history/ MOT advisories/ bills etc ..

But these are generally pretty reliable beasts with few weak points..

Good luck... and keep us posted..

FF1078

Hi Goddo
I like you wanted a 4.7 and didn't even consider the 4.2 for reasons only known to my brain!
I love mine and have lived with her for 8 months now and have loved every minute of it, even the £2400 service cost didn't put me off.
Skyhook is great in my eyes but I've not driven a none skyhook so dont know what there like to be honest.
As Fangio63 said the ICE system will be redundant as I never have mine on, with an exhaust note like that who would?
I like you didn't want a red interior but a lot of the earlier models do have them, the darker red is easier to live with in my eyes.
Anyway good look and please feel free to shoot me a PM if you need anymore info.
I'm up north if your near feel free to come have a look
Nick

goddo

Thank you for all the replies. Most helpful and I must say, a lot more helpful than certain other forums (for different makes of cars).
I will do as suggested, contact the more well known trade retailers with a wish list but thought it prudent to speak to the owners rather than the sellers if you get my drift? :wink:
I will keep you updated as things progress.

Fangio63

One more thing... which is not obvious the 4.2 GT is still a current model.. (It's still possible to order a new one !)... Nobody did after about 2008 as when the GTS came out various extras were included as standard on the 4.7... (essentials like the comfort seats, Bose, Skyhook etc)... by the time you'd added these to the 4.2 the price differential was only about £3k..

So... there are hardly any 4.2's around any later than 08 (58Plate)...

Bear in mind that the 4.7's you'll see will all be newer cars than the 4.2's on offer....

In the real world - the driving experience is I think very much the same - though the 4.7 packs a bit of extra mid range punch... The big seller though is the noise... alongside a 4.7 you'll find a 4.2 very much more discreet..

Once you're into 4.7 territory - then you have the other dilemma of whether it's an Auto you want or the MC shift...