Some say....I've been lucky!

Grant V

Today, my 30 year old Porsche 928S clocked 450 000km!

In the 370 000km and 15 years that I have owned the car, the engine has never been opened, she still runs with the original exhaust system, no suspension bushes have needed replacement and the paint is largely original except for a few touch ups here and there.
She has only ever broken down twice - once with a failed air flow sensor, and the second time with a failed starter relay.
So far I have had to replace 2 sets of engine mountings, 6 sets of tyres, 1 set of brake discs (new fronts now required), 4 reverse clutches, 1 auto gearbox seal kit, 1 set of gearbox mountings, 2 heater valves, about 100 liters of engine oil, 45 liters of ATF, 1 dashboard, 2 headlight height adjusting mechanisms, 1 set of shocks (well overdue), 5 cambelts, 2 sump gaskets, 3 windscreens, 1 instrument cluster motherboard, 1 aircon compressor, 1 visco fan, 4 front spoilers, 1 set of injectors, 72 spark plugs, 19 oil filters, 7 auto gearbox filters, 7 fuel filters, 2 door handle mechanisms, 2 sets of side window seals, 1 side window channel, 2 driveshaft joints and boots.......I suppose I've rebuilt the car. Oh, and probably in the region of 60 000 liters of fuel.

This is arguably one of the best car I have ever owned and still enjoy driving her at every opportunity.

Andyk

450,000k.........That is just amazing...What a great story. Love the 928 and it still looks great today.

Grant V

Octane recently ran an article on the 928 as the car to watch and it seems like the values of the early telephone dial rimmed models are on the up.
Love this quote from the article:

hoyin

I wonder what the highest mileage car is in the world and in what country it would be in?

Perhaps somewhere like Cuba? Where they have to keep the old cars running?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Apparently it is a Volvo P1800S somewhere in America and it really has got intergalactic mileage. IIRC, it's done over 3 million miles.

zagatoes30

Apparently it is a Volvo P1800S somewhere in America and it really has got intergalactic mileage. IIRC, it's done over 3 million miles.

I read something about this once might have to go and mooch through some old magazines to see if I can find it.

EXCF350

I guess none of these super-high mileage cars come from countries with road salt

bigbob

I guess none of these super-high mileage cars come from countries with road salt

Yes, when I was spraying WD40 around like a madman on the sports exhaust stuff I did not like what I saw underneath the car.

My old Discovery was shocking underneath once it was older than five years, not sure whether the new one will be better as it's not yet one.

Parisien

Yeah....drier climate cars, if maintained at all, can go on forever........well done

P

Grant V

There's a 1976 Mercedes 240D in the MB Museum that was donated by its Greek taxi owner that logged 4.6 million kms.

Just doing 10km in a 240D is a trial....

Contigo

Sponsor
I read something about this once might have to go and mooch through some old magazines to see if I can find it.

Retired teacher Irvin Gordon from Long Island, New York, has managed to drive three million miles in his reliable Volvo P1800S.
Mr Gordon bought the red car 47 years ago for $4,150 (£2,500) at the age of 25, and has been driving it ever since.
By 2002, he was already in the Guinness Book of Records for having the 'Highest Mileage on a Vehicle.' He said: "The day I first bought the car I picked it up on a Friday night and started driving around town and showing it off to all of my friends and local pubs and wherever else.
Before I knew it, I was up in New Jersey and up in Connecticut and went back to my college in Massachusetts."
It took Mr Gordon 21 years to reach his first million miles, and a further 15 years to reach the two million milestone, averaging between 85,000 and 100,000 miles per year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegrap...ocks-up-world-record-three-million-miles.html