Conaero's Spider Rebuild

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, had the Alfa Brembo's in many bits strewn across the garage floor. Despite new seals and dust covers previously, they have seized again.

I spoke to the seal supplier today and has suggested to remove the seals completely and make sure the pistons drop into the bores. I says that despite me saying there is no corrosion, I should remove the seals and check for corrosion underneath the seal as it sounds like they are sitting too proud.

Going for another set of seals, from a different supplier.

I will, reports back in due course.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well the pipe that was causing the issue is routed. I still have to try and flare them in situ which is never easy.

I got to the point of removing the engine. Started stripping it down of the plenum and accessories and removed all the bulkhead items, brake fluid reservoir and removed the intake, to and abs pump.

I had one last go starting with a straight length of pipe instead of a pre bent one.

I had to be quite rough pulling it through and risked kinking it but 3hrs a lot of swearing and shredded hands and forearms and it's in!

Where on the homestraight now, it's been rough!

conaero

Forum Owner
Might even stick the 'lunatic pipes' back on her and take her to Le Mans this year.

Last edited:

rockits

Sounds great and certainly makes sense keeping her. Keep plugging away with it. How much is left to do until you can stop or it is where you want it to be?

conaero

Forum Owner
Sounds great and certainly makes sense keeping her. Keep plugging away with it. How much is left to do until you can stop or it is where you want it to be?

It is, or was where it needed to be. I have been suffering from a spongy pedal since I did it so over the winter I did this and the rear suspension pollybushing.

Unfortunately the brake pipes were seized where they meet the hoses in the front wheel arches so had to run new pipes all the way back to the ABS pump and access was the issues really.

If I was doing it again I think I would use braided hoses for the routing bit.

conaero

Forum Owner
By the power of Greyskull

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

Now just the matter of bleeding the entire system...at least I have a ramp.

Suction bleed first then a manual bleed later.

A6C

Might even stick the 'lunatic pipes' back on her and take her to Le Mans this year.

[video=youtube;7nl-0_Dribk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nl-0_Dribk[/video]

Great thread and watching with interest.

Those pipes are tame compared the Wizard set up ;-)

conaero

Forum Owner
The car that just keeps giving!

Rear caliper bleed nipple sheered off, got it out and just back from Meridien Milano, 2 nipples £25!

...real ones are cheaper on the streets of Vietnam!

That was with 5% discount too.

On with the bleeding...

A6C, it was mental loud had to put the stock mid box back on in the end. The Wizards are good though but I don't like the twin pipes, I like things very muck stock in look.

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
Suction bled and have a good pedal, it might be done.

Can't start it to check as the intake and TB is off but confident, think we are close :)