Conaero's Spider Rebuild

philw696

Wouldn't say no as the Alfa would look nice over here and make a nice stablemate to the Maserati.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good, Matt. Very best of good fortune with it. Between that and the GS you'll be a busy lad this spring!

conaero

Forum Owner
Inertial fuel switch :)
C

Lets hope so, but those monkeys at Copart have been driving it around the yard, so hopeful of crank shells only.

I am speaking to them in a mo about the whereabouts of the master key so I am going to ask them to disconnect the battery.

CatmanV2

Lets hope so, but those monkeys at Copart have been driving it around the yard, so hopeful of crank shells only.

I am speaking to them in a mo about the whereabouts of the master key so I am going to ask them to disconnect the battery.

Less good but...

C

conaero

Forum Owner
UPDATE

I have to eat a bit of humble pie here, the brown master key system was sunset by Alfa in 2001 with the CF3 cars so I don't need a master key, whoopee!!!

Car now paid for and the shipping firm are arranging the collection and delivery to me on Wednesday :)

Battery has been disconnected so the car cannot be started again.

conaero

Forum Owner
Yippeee, keys found and it does come with a brown master key so I am not going mad!

Loz is picking them up for me tomorrow from Co Part head office which is just down the road from him, car still due for delivery on Wednesday.

lisknik

Yippeee, keys found and it does come with a brown master key so I am not going mad!

Loz is picking them up for me tomorrow from Co Part head office which is just down the road from him, car still due for delivery on Wednesday.

Flipping heck, Copart did something useful for once!! :conf1:

Fantastic news, roll on Wednesday!! :)

vantastic

LOL but still not sure its a master key..... when you get them, try the locks with brown key (glovebox lock)

conaero

Forum Owner
Hurrah it's just been delivered!

The good bits:
All the service books were in the car in the Oem folder with all the other car bits. Loz got the master key from head office, found the security wheel bolts in the boot and the best bit, a letter to the last owner and his phone number so I can contact him to get the low down. Full set of new tyres, flanks of the car are not door dinged and the stone chips don't look bad, someone has taken the time to touch them in. Soft top looks in really good nick. Overall the car has been loved by its one owner.

Bad bits:
Front wheels curbed. Flat OSF tyre will not take air. Bonnet has impacted with the drivers door a bit and the bonet has definately moved. Electric ariel has been removed and replaced with a black grommet. Boot badge that twists is jammed open. Drivers front wheel does not look in the middle of the arch. A quick peek underneath shows the oil pipes and oil rad has been taken out, sump oily so it might of taken a wack.

So I recon the subframe is twisted, no big deal really a used one is readily available.

What's next:
Get the knackered wheel off, bypass the oil rad by joining the in and out pipes together. Fill with oil and start her up and listen to get an idea of the engine state. Drain oil and remove filter and check for metal particals.

Last job for tonight, check the bonnet opens. Pinkies crossed!

conaero

Forum Owner
Bonnet did open, no oil showing on the dipstick however :(

On the plus side, its very clean and tidy under there and everything is as it should be.

conaero

Forum Owner
Copart have had it running with no oil! *****!! :(

Yep, annoying isn't it, probably cost me the engine rebuild but that's life.

I am hoping we will know today if it's a bag of spanners or not by the end of today.

hodroyd

Best of luck with it Matt, we all have our fingers crossed for you, done up will be a nice motor..!!