Ghibli test drive 24 hours

Phil the Brit

Borrowing a Ghibli petrol next week from dealership in Colchester. Anything particular I should look for and how many miles should I put on it? Anybody done the same thing and were you impressed? Any disappointments/critisisms?

safrane

Do as many miles as you can....that way you don't have to look at it or try and find where you left it when parked next to Audis, Citroëns and Mazdas.

bigbob

I've driven the Ghibli S briefly and it was a good steer.

I've spent more time in the QP, having had an S and a diesel each for a week. On the QP the transmission tunnel is very wide which forces you to move your left leg too far to the right and there a few niggles with the electronic functionality such as the mirrors not folding in above a very low speed, the car kicking down in 8th even when in manual mode and the steering wheel controls being a little unresponsive. That said the wipers work far better than on my GranTurismo and it's great that the damper and sport buttons are now separate. These cars are growers and Maserati has maybe now realised that. There is a lot more traditional Maserati shape in the cars in profile form which a bit of time with them allowed me to realise was present. Boot is still too generic on both mind!

Maser Sod

Borrowing a Ghibli petrol next week from dealership in Colchester. Anything particular I should look for and how many miles should I put on it? Anybody done the same thing and were you impressed? Any disappointments/critisisms?

If it's the standard Ghibli, I'd be interested to know how fast it feels. And, also, what is the difference between the standard and the 'S' ... or is it just a remap!

When I tried for a Ghibli test drive last year, they could only offer me a ride in the latest QP due to the Ghibli demo not being there. Not quite the same!

Andyk

I would suggest you just drive it like you stole it and have some fun.....

Rwc13

Hope it's an S. They are fast. And I think bigbob's assessment is spot on. They are more maserati than some would have you believe. Will be interested to hear your views

outrun

Do as many miles as you can....that way you don't have to look at it or try and find where you left it when parked next to Audis, Citroëns and Mazdas.

That's a bit harsh Peter. They look great in the flesh, especially with the larger wheels.

safrane

Having driven one and seeing plenty in London I am afraid it would never be on my wish list...in fact I preferred the Audi A6 and BMW 5 for both looks and drive,

From the front and rear it looks like every other car, and on bigger wheels the ride is too harsh for a 4 door saloon.

All my own opinion but does any one really hanker for this model as 'their' dream Maserati?

safrane

Audi is better finished and the tech is far superior and the engines wipe the floor with the Maserati.

My PERSONAL thoughts are that the Ghibli is a 21c Bi Turbo for the brand and will be thought of of the same in the years to come. Built to sell as many as possible.

Forum often states other cars have no soul...I can't see any in this model...sadly.

sjc

Got the diesel via Colchester for 24 hours from Tuesday afternoon,perfect timing as I'm driving down to Milbrook to drive the Mac 650S on Wednesday morning!

sjc

Well first impressions aren't good at all.
The ride comfort (non Skyhook on 19" wheels) is simply appalling. On anything other than fresh tarmac billiard table type roads, it fidgets, jiggles and takes ages to settle. I'm shocked how bad it is.The driving position is uncomfortably offset, all legs end up pushed to the right,the hype about the " great sounding diesel in sport mode " is exactly that hype. The stop/start mode comes in with such a bang it's like starting up a black cab from the 80's ( you can turn it off thank God).The gearbox seems to get confused as to what mood your in,the rear brake light reflects in the rear window at night, I could go on and on.
Nowhere near good enough,nowhere near special enough.

bigbob

I've noticed the offset driving position in the QP as well and the diesel noise thingy is pointless as the car still sounds like a diesel from the driver's seat. Skyhook is standard on the QP and I don't understand people not putting it on the Ghibli as for me it is the most important option.

The last loaner QP I was given had the stop start turned off in the menu and, thankfully, it stays that way whereas on most cars you have to switch it off each time you start it. Result for Maserati!

The Ghibli is a reasonable car - I've driven the S with skyhook and it is fine but like a lot of modern BMWs you need to get the spec right.

sjc

In the guise I'm testing, it doesn't know whether it should be a sports saloon or luxury car,and is stuck doing neither very well.

sjc

Well gave it back 3 hours early,says it all. Not since the DB7 I drove 20 years ago have I been so disappointed in a car.God knows how it got signed off to go into production,I'm truly shocked.

Andyk

Real mixed reviews on this car........SOme of you comments are a worry for a car costing 50k plus.....

hoyin

Got the diesel via Colchester for 24 hours from Tuesday afternoon,perfect timing as I'm driving down to Milbrook to drive the Mac 650S on Wednesday morning!

How was the 650S? I like it a lot. Seems like good progression from the 12C.

Appears to look like it has more drama.

bigbob

Well gave it back 3 hours early,says it all. Not since the DB7 I drove 20 years ago have I been so disappointed in a car.God knows how it got signed off to go into production,I'm truly shocked.

I think Maserati missed a trick by under specifying the cars. The diesel is gruff and the cars should have skyhook as standard. Believe me that the S petrol Ghibli with skyhook is a good car. The standard petrol might be too but I have not driven one. Dealers should push customers to skyhook rather than 21" bling wheels but then again what so most people want?

The issue is we are coming from £100k cars and taking a £50k loan car and finding it disappointing, to be expected really.

Yeti

I've got a test drive in the petrol version tomorrow, will be going into it with open eyes, so it will be interesting to see how it feels

BJL

Same here. Drove the diesel and thought it was an afront to put a Maserati badge on it. Like a shot through the heart for my beloved trident.
Stupid fake noise, last decade engine, poor ride and worst of all it was gasping at 4000 revs with absolutely no top end fizz. Should have been the workhorse Alfa 159 replacement.

On the other hand a fully specced S is very nimble and feels tight but still can't cut it against the M5 and RS6.

In my opinion, and only my opinion I hasten to add , the new bean counters at Maserati clearly have no pride or desire to preserve the exclusivity and uniqueness of the brand but have instead chosen to cash in on the success of the QPV and GT. Short term gain brings long term grief....85 for sale on Autotrader after one year from launch.......speaks for itself.