Another Quiet Sunday...

del mar

Was bored so I decided to take the front suspension apart to be powder coated. I did the rear a couple of years ago on the "other forum", so will do the front here.

It comes apart easy-ish, stuck on removing the "stub axle" from the carrier. Parts diagram shows that it is a push fit like a track rod end, so hopefully should push out.

Nor can I work out how to take the "top hat" but apart from the top of the shocks - but nobody sees that so not bothered if I cant do it.

I will use some large bits of wood to support the engine and gear box, and then drop the front sub-frame out- car is on a 4 post lift so can support the it.

Ross has only one set of "rubbers" left but they are attached to the arm and they are £90 plus vat... So I have been looking through the polybush websites for a replacement, before I push them out.

I already have a couple of track rod ends, and will need to source some rubber covers as some others are torn or will get torn popping the ball joint out.

Powder coater will be closed until new year so will report back when I have some more pictures.

Del

Attachments

• front suspension.jpg
    front suspension.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 25

Parisien

Fair play to you Del Mar, always nice to have a guy handy with spanners on the forum!

Hope they all come up like new and you can notice the difference when out on the road

P

del mar

Fair play to you Del Mar, always nice to have a guy handy with spanners on the forum!

Hope they all come up like new and you can notice the difference when out on the road

P

You can point out "handy with spanners" when it goes back together !

del mar

Sub frame is out - my most manly work.

Car is on a 4 post lift, supported at front jacking points, I placed two 4 by 4 fence posts across the ramps and placed a jack on them I then raised the jack to take the weigh of the engine off the sub frame. The sub frame then just unbolts.

Powder coater has promised it will be blasted today and painted tomorrow, I want it back in asap as the jack will drop slightly over time. I will get my brushes out and clean the bottom of the engine as it is dirty.

Reading Ferrari chat you get all these guys labelling things and placing them all in little bags........... I did that for the rear but now I have two boxes of bits - one per side.....

Del
subframe 1.jpgsubframe 2.jpg

MAF260

Good work. When I transplanted different running gear into my old BMW a few years back I bagged and labelled everything that came off each car. I found it massively useful when putting everything back together and had no spare parts left over at the end! It takes a lot of discipline when all you want to do is get on with the job, but doing this as well as photographing everything saved a huge amount of time and ensured the car started straight away and was able to be driven with no further alterations.

del mar

Some shiny bits are back.

I am spraying the shocks by hand with Hammerite Spray paint - after one coat looks ok, but will keep going.

shiny bits.jpg

rs48635

Very tidy. Is the powder coating process expensive? Are most companies happy to do small jobs like this or do they run them through with a batch?

Did you have any issuse with wishbone removal / inspection?

del mar

Very tidy. Is the powder coating process expensive? Are most companies happy to do small jobs like this or do they run them through with a batch?

Did you have any issuse with wishbone removal / inspection?

I paid £100 for the above bits, the other spring, a small bag of bits, and the hub bits (that go on the bottom of the shock). It is not expensive, I would make sure you tape up or cover bits where you do no want paint as it will go everywhere.

Wish bones - they come out easy enough but there are no bushes left, and the ball joint on the end is £190...... I have tidied them up. I did try to find replacement bushes, but it started to become an additional cost, especially as I was only painting them. I will buy some replacement rubber boots for them and re fit. Sub frame is back on and I am starting to re fit all the bits.

Del

chad5k1

Ball joints and bushes are available from auto-italia and MIE in the USA. The ball joints are $70 the pair!
I've just got replacement bushes all round and am waiting for them to arrive - it is going to get very messy in the garage in the new year.
Did you replace any of the bushes when you took the front suspension bits apart?

del mar

No.

I replaced tie rods and rubber boots - all the bushes looked ok. Plus when you add in that Ross had no parts at all it kind of put me off..... "Granca" found ball joints in Holland, but no bushes.
That is a good find. I even went through various polybush catalogues to match the size but without much luck.

When I did the rear Ross has all of them !

chad5k1

No.

I replaced tie rods and rubber boots - all the bushes looked ok. Plus when you add in that Ross had no parts at all it kind of put me off..... "Granca" found ball joints in Holland, but no bushes.
That is a good find. I even went through various polybush catalogues to match the size but without much luck.

When I did the rear Ross has all of them !

I have also had no luck with the poly bush catalogues. We have managed to find all the bushes bar two at the moment - most came from the US and a few from ebay and Ross. Rear ARB bushes seem problematic for KS and pre ABS cars - although I hear that 3200 bushes fit. Not sure if everything we have managed to get will all be needed, but better to have them whilst they are still findable.

del mar

McGrath's did suggest that for the lower shock bush at the rear, they buy the cheapest biturbo shock they can and push the bush out !