My 4200GT for sale

Dave

Considering selling my lovely motor. MoT until October 2015, 58k miles full service history (including clutch at 39k), manual gearbox, heated seats etc etc. More likely to make contact with an enthusiast or serious buyer here. I'm away until January but if anyone is interested I could meet up when I get back for a viewing and some friendly haggling ! I'm considering a Mercedes 350/Jaguar XF with 3 litre diesel auto box as a replacement. maserati for sale 001.jpgmaserati for sale 002.jpgmaserati for sale 003.jpg

Wattie

Good luck with the sale., i've a 350 at the mo and had the XF 3L S. BOTH excellent but very different cars.
Cheers Wattie

Wattie

Strange re the XF gearbox comments, mine wasn't like that at all!

In fact when in flappy paddle mode the XF was far superior to the Mercs manual lazy shifts which rather remind me of the GTS MC when in auto mode.

My only quibble with the XF was the touchscreen Satnav system which usually required at least 2-3 presses each input especially with cold hands. I was very impressed with the XF and would certainly consider another, same with the Merc, not as special a place to sit as the Jag, nor quite as sporty IMO but a very nice "solid" feeling car.
Cheers Wattie

GeoffCapes

The Jag was this XF S. Lovely looking thing but compared to the the Merc E350 AMG the driving experience wasn't as good IMHO.cimage.jpgimage.jpg

The Jag wasn't as quick either. However, once you got to 70 it flew.

Is your 350 an AMG one? As the gearshifts are a lot quicker (apparently).

Wattie

Nice, think your Merc may be the model after mine.....mine is AMG spec tho.
My ideal now, would be the Merc Body, in either colour with the Jags seats, its gearbox along with the B&W hifi and the Mercs Sat Nav. photo (21).jpgmerc - Copy.jpg
Not too much to ask for is it :roll_eyes:
Cheers Wattie

GeoffCapes

Not really! Lol!

I think the AMG is now AMG 'Sport'. I guess that's how they get to charge another five grand for the car!

MrCoop

I've had a (2011) 3.0D XF and a (2012) CLS350 CDI AMG in the past 3 years. The Jag was lovely and the gearbox is great, better than the Merc IMO. The Merc is faster though, phenomenal torque. The only thing that let the Jag down was the poor sat nav and touchscreen. The Merc inside is a dream, really nice. I imagine the E350 is mechanically identical to the CLS350.

I replaced the CLS with an XFR, thinking that it'd suppress my Maser desires for another couple of years. It's ridiculously fast, absolutely brutal 70 to 90mph, but it's completely lacking any character.

Contigo

Sponsor
Depends on who you speak to, both a good but certainly most common was the CC box. I love my manual 3200 and would have a 4200 manual for sure but think the CC box would be more suited to most. The rarity of the manual box could be seen as a positive from a sale point of view as there really aren't that many manual cars to choose from at any given time.

D Walker

Ok - Thanks - Having driven none its a difficult one. I still enjoy the interaction and choice a manual provides - except when in traffic!!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep the CC box should never be used in Auto so it can still get tiresome in traffic but probably a little less so than a clutch car as they can be heavy especially the 3200 pull clutch.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
The manual gearbox is cable operated, the rear mounted gearbox was designed for the cambiocorsa flappy paddle gear change first, manual change second.
It's therefore crucial that the cables are not worn and adjusted correctly for a good smooth gearchange.
Cambiocorsa or manual gearchange...totally down to personal choice.

CliveP1

Yep the CC box should never be used in Auto so it can still get tiresome in traffic but probably a little less so than a clutch car as they can be heavy especially the 3200 pull clutch.

Why? all I can say its such a joy to drive round town, then when you get to a good bit of road you can play with that paddles all you like, then back to gently driving round town. no problems.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Why? all I can say its such a joy to drive round town, then when you get to a good bit of road you can play with that paddles all you like, then back to gently driving round town. no problems.

I drive mine mostly in manual, but on occasion slip it into Auto especially when i don't know where I am going one less thing to concentrate on...and it performs just fine.
Also it's recommended to drive in Auto every so often to keep all the valves and solenoids working that are used in Auto mode, whether true or not!

CatmanV2

I drive mine mostly in manual, but on occasion slip it into Auto especially when i don't know where I am going one less thing to concentrate on...and it performs just fine.
Also it's recommended to drive in Auto every so often to keep all the valves and solenoids working that are used in Auto mode, whether true or not!

I can't imagine any valves or solenoids that would be used in auto, but not in manual. However, I'm open to being corrected!

C