Maser-rah-tee or Maser-rat-tee?

hilts uk

As a Northerner now living in the South I have to day that I am struggling with the word Maserati. Despite being in London for 20 years I haven't lost my Northern vowels so automatically I would say Maser-rat-tee not Maser-rah-tee but everytime I say it I think it just sounds wrong. How does everyone else pronounce it in the Uk and around the world?

BJL

In Italy the first 'a' is as in 'has' and the second ' a' is as in 'part'.

safrane

From 'up north too...and lived south of Watford Gap for 20+years...no rats in the way I say it...I live that to oir colonial friends across the pond.

hilts uk

Safrane don't you find it difficult to switch to southern vowel for this one word or have you switched all your vowels? My kids are constantly pulling me up on the way I speak but ill never change

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm from Essex. If I'm blending in to the south or west* of the county it's a fackin Mazzah, innit. Otherwise it's very much a Maserati as in party.

* Newton and Catman excepted :smile:

BJL

In Bridport the other day (deepest west dorset) I was asked......yer is that one of those fancy Top Gear cars they did that wedding thing in......to which I replied.......yes it is, .....do you like it?......................nah too poncy for round ere.

Can't win them all........

Grant V

Depends whether you're looking at the car admiringly with love in your eyes after washing it, or whether you're loading it onto a flatbed on the side of the road.

Parptoot

Maser-rat-tee, like nails down a blackboard for me.
I sit next to someone who says it this way and I shudder every time he asks "How's the MaseRATi?" ARRGHHH!!

I'd love to find a way to let him know it just sounds, and to me, IS wrong.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
As a full northerner with no southern pretensions whatsoever, it's two rats and no parties for me!

safrane

Safrane don't you find it difficult to switch to southern vowel for this one word or have you switched all your vowels? My kids are constantly pulling me up on the way I speak but ill never change

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Family are still in Oswaldtwistle and Kendal so up there they think I 'talk dead posh like'...down here they mix my accent from anywhere south of Stafford to Kent...which actualy covers most of the counties I have lived in.

But it does give me the excuse to call the girlfriend 'Woman' despite knowing it winds her up immensely. ..unless she wants to enjoy a Catherine Cookson moment (Benny will despair. ..TR7s and now Catherine in SM posfs)

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I'd heard the north-south divide had lessened. Clearly still grim up there. :smile:

Extremely but we have the benefit of being able to disappear into the wilderness on some great roads with not a speed camera in sight.