Clarkson on the Ghibli...........3 out of 5, don't think he was too fussed!!!!

Parisien

Not the most sparkling of reviews.

But he reckoned it was great value!!! I wonder if this will have any effect on sales, be interested in feedback from MDs for the next few weeks

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
His main gripes seemed to be woolly feel and lazy heater. It certainly wouldn't put me off buying one. In fact, if I was in the market for that kind of car it would persuade me to take one for a drive and I'd hope to end up buying one.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Whats he know he couldn't even drive a car with a flappy padle

You thinking of that Stradale test he did on TG where he whined about the crappy auto-box and the harnesses, Steve? Very ill-informed review of a fantastic car, in my humble.

Steve GS

You thinking of that Stradale test he did on TG where he whined about the crappy auto-box and the harnesses, Steve? Very ill-informed review of a fantastic car, in my humble.

And watching him drive the 4200 all them years ago. I think the man needs a driving lesson

Grant V

I think the only one who listens to Clarkson, is Clarkson - he's all hot air and bravado.
Of the three, May is probably the most sensible.

Parisien

But still very watchable......a man/commentator/tele- journo of his time, tapped into a vein of gold and stayed there

P

Steve GS

Yes very watchable but if there is a car he don't like the look of well need I say more.

Parisien

Which is why hes watchable I suspect....a bit edgy, controversial, knows how to hog the limelight........+ humungous profits for the ol' BBC

P

Andyk

Agree, he went on about the harness but failed to say it was an option if you wanted proper belts.......

safrane

I think that may have been due, in part, to him being a Ferrari driver and at that time Maserati were owned by Ferrari.

allandwf

I work with a fair amount of younger folks, unfortunately , they do seem to take what he says as gospel!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I think that may have been due, in part, to him being a Ferrari driver and at that time Maserati were owned by Ferrari.

Absolutely, depends who is paying!
Watch the review of the new MG6 by Quintin Willson on YouTube.
According to him, its the best car in class, but it would be, MG paid him to review it!
Quite embarrassing to watch and the gives Quintin Willson no credibility at all.

bigbob

Having driven both a Ghibli S and QP S I would say it was a fair review. I drove both in warm weather so cannot comment about the heater. I don't understand why people criticise him as much as they do.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand why people criticise him as much as they do.

Probably two reasons: one because he plays the part of unapologetic ar5e (perhaps he is an ar5e, I've never met him, but he's entertaining nonetheless), and two because they think that the BBC pays him too much but they don't understand that the BBC makes a killing by re-selling TG around the world. Personally I'm happy that TG is such a successful format. That doesn't mean that I agree with everything Clarkson says. If I did there wouldn't be much point watching him, I suppose.

dem maser

I read his book, he says he refuses to give a "positive" comment about any Nissans (even if he likes them) as they treated him badly in 1990 when he flew out to Japan as a young journalist

that is not good journalism....pride, ego....not a reason to "hold back" positive things

bigbob

Agree, there is no car reviewer that I universally agree with and the TG concept is TV gold. I do feel that many people miss the point with him, though, as he goes extreme to provoke a reaction and many people get drawn into the slanging match. Says more about them than him IMHO.

TG is a comedy show that happens to have cars around.
For advice on cars JC is not to be taken too seriously, he is the front man
better to listen to Hammond / May