2016 SM Euro Road Trip

conaero

Forum Owner
I don't know about you lot but since coming back from the Centenary trip, life has been, well, a little flat.

The best part was hacking down France, into Switzerland and onward to the passes and Bormio.

Next year might be a little soon but when should we return and do this again?

highlander

We have been discussing something similar. Did not make Kenya this year because of the troubles over there so desperate to get back there too but would struggle to cover both I think:unsure:
A big bit of me thinks if we don't do "the grand tour" next year we might get to do it so strongly swinging that way just now but probably will not our minds up till we get back from Cape Verde in December........

Emtee

What about something in the UK? Lakes, Wales, Scotland, Ireland? Loads of great places and roads and all on the doorstep, comparatively. No preference either way, just a thought...

allandwf

Count us in, the drive through the Alps, europe etc. was excellent, but so was the company, so we're in wherever the destination.

conaero

Forum Owner
We have the French coming over for the Goodwood revival in Sept 15, how about we hack down and meet them and all travel up together?

Miles, good call on the Lakes, never been and would dearly love to.

I do think that my yearning is for Bormio and the passes though.

safrane

Lakes roads are in a dreadful state at the moment with the exception of the pass from Troutbeck to Troutbeck Penrith which was redone about two years ago.
The rest are like farm tracks at the moment.

Chrisbassett

I had a nice drive down over the pyrenees and over to Spain last year, meant to throw in that big bridge in France too near Toulouse but didn't make it. The driving's not up to Alpine standards though, but you have Navarra and Rioja just over the mountains, so plenty of wine to pick up.

Agreed on the roads around the lakes, they tend to be packed or knackered or both recently, but the scenery is cool.

maverick

I have a little place in France with pool etc happy to put up a few for a stop over on the way there or back

highlander

Lakes roads are in a dreadful state at the moment with the exception of the pass from Troutbeck to Troutbeck Penrith which was redone about two years ago.
The rest are like farm tracks at the moment.

Agree. Have a mate who took his tvr there this summer and has done nothing but moan about the potholes and splits since he came back:battered:

hodroyd

That's the only problem I have with the UK, the roads are basically ****..!! France must have secured all the cash available in the EU for the last few years, all the roads are spot on and they have sunshine usually..!! French food is usually rubbish quality, unless you can find an Italian, the UK is better. So how about all the travellers among us go hunting for good roads in the UK and see if we can find any..?? I must admit driving down to Modena was absolutely brilliant, the whole experience was something else..!!

If we do it, PM me so that the spies don't know what's going on in my life..!!

drewf

There are roads being rebuilt all over France and Germany. Think about the 2 billion invoice that's just been thrown at the UK. Think about the state of UK roads. Consider the EU money that's paying for many of the projects in France & Germany...

safrane

Even the roads in France are starting to spoil...the recession has seen investment across the whole of the EU drop when it comes to smooth tarmac.

Mr.Cambio

you could try Scandinavia. I had a wonderful road trip to sweden and denmark some years before.
Anyone knows where the international meeting will take place?

Steve GS

Interested in this. My trip down to monaco with woman next to me --- might as well drive her A3 down here. Was good when she was sleeping

Parptoot

Watching with interest. I'm long overdue a good long drive with like minded car loons.

petronic

Ferry from Weymouth to northern spain then a loop down into Spain into France and back up to a ferry home? Could spend a few days on the "Costa" to chill then return?