Trottle Bodies

Chtonic

Well I went and had a closer look at my throttlebody and it turns out that the previous owner got the Xemodex guys to rebuilt the throttlebody, so I guess I just wasted $130.

Oh well, back to the drawing board to find why the 3200 is idling/revving by itself.

OK It seems to me that the solution to the throttle body is clear. The part can easily obtained, it's just the skills needed to fit them/ repair the throttle body.

Now the pedal pot. Is there something similar to be done? i.e. opening up the pot to replace bits and pieces in there rather than buying at enormous expense a new PP?

If we can get the usual issues resolved quickly and efficiently for these cars they will be kept on the road, fewer scrapped/broken and be a more viable classic

Contigo

Sponsor
Yes indeed you do need some test gear for calibration. Bill the forum member did mine.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well I went and had a closer look at my throttlebody and it turns out that the previous owner got the Xemodex guys to rebuilt the throttlebody, so I guess I just wasted $130.

Oh well, back to the drawing board to find why the 3200 is idling/revving by itself.

Do you have a hissing noise coming from under the plenum, the belly gasket is classic for leaking. the cover plate screws vibrate themselves loose then sit in the V of the block, sucking the gasket in.

Its a couple of hours to do as you have to remove the injectors.

davy83

I looked at trying to replace the internal carbon track potentiometers with contactless rotary sensors and was underwhelmed with the effort and the mechanics of the Bosch part being plastic did not take well to being upgraded. If you have a look on the forums there are a few pictures of upgraded pedal pots and its not pretty. I rightly or wrongly decided that i would a) get a reputable company to make the rotary sensor a full dual output unit to mimic the existing sensor output exactly, but using modern non contact technology. and b) make up as simple and robust an aluminium body as i could to hold it in place instead of trying to re-use the Bosch body. I sell these for £350 which is a little over the cost you could probably make one for £300. That's was my take on this part folks! Not sure i want to go on making these for ever but at the moment i am, so they exist if you are interested.
sensor.jpg

OK It seems to me that the solution to the throttle body is clear. The part can easily obtained, it's just the skills needed to fit them/ repair the throttle body.

Now the pedal pot. Is there something similar to be done? i.e. opening up the pot to replace bits and pieces in there rather than buying at enormous expense a new PP?

If we can get the usual issues resolved quickly and efficiently for these cars they will be kept on the road, fewer scrapped/broken and be a more viable classic

skid32

On the throttlebodies i supply, the sensors are programmed after the sensor and magnet is mounted and the butterfly is set up correctly.
If you are not able to programm these sensors, i think it will be very difficult to get the correct outputs from the sensor.
It seems that the Volvo variant of these throttlebodies can learn itself with the help of a Volvo diagnostic tool.

no the hall sensors are all te same...0/5 volt output linear vs position...no programming....only to fix it correctly angular position