any one know these cars ??

Phil H

Although my AC was a manual I think an auto would make for pretty rapid progress, and over on the dark side there used to be some interesting views on that very subject, as there was for sprung/unsprung weight and various 'tuning' matters.

PH

D Walker

Although my AC was a manual I think an auto would make for pretty rapid progress, and over on the dark side there used to be some interesting views on that very subject, as there was for sprung/unsprung weight and various 'tuning' matters.

PH
Phil, you obviously know more on the subject than I do - unfortunately I tend to look with my eyes - fall badly then find out all the pit falls later(Its a bit like finding a wife really - she does not read this forum!!!)

StuartW

It was a personal choice of a manual AC for me. I drove an auto 3200GT and found the box to be fine but as a weekend car and not in a city, a manual car with it's heavy clutch is not an issue for me. If I still lived in London, I'm sure I would think otherwise but the excitement of a manual wins out - just a personal choice

allandwf

The auto is seriously quick, there's probably not much in it, AC being track orientated should be manual IMHO.

Contigo

Sponsor
Sounds better? Why? It revs lower and changes sooner. Same engine and same throttle map.

Andyk

Just for me because the 3200 AC was suppose to be a more driver focused track orientated 3200 having an Auto in it just seemed wrong...Standard car I get it but not the AC....

Ian3200

I have to have an auto... no choice unfortunately, but I'd love engine braking... I feel I'd have more control if I could control the revs more, at high revs, if I back off and come back on the loud pedal, I'd like more feeling... difficult to describe, on the right roads, it's marvellous, but in Sport, the change up is high enough that unless you are going all out in a straight line, it holds on to the high revs, which would be great if I got the engine braking, but without, it feels really odd... even changing down manually, it's the same... maybe there's something wrong with my gearbox? Up changes are very quick though if going all out...

casadalloro

thanks for all the replies guys.... have to wait a little while as we are doing a new roof on part of casadalloro.com .. just waiting for quotes.... i know there can be pitfalls and big bills if you dont check a car out properly but maybe not just as bad as doing building work in italy.... typical process seems to be like this so far with us....

quote = pick a number... double it.... add 60% ... discount by 30% if you pay part in cash (though its illegal to pay more than 1000 euro in cash) .. job gets finished eventually and builders then say they had some issues and the bill goes up by another 30-40%.. you haggle and get 20% off and swear never to use that builder ever again.
latest we have found out is that english speakers use italian builders that dont speak english while italians use romanian builders that talk italian!! simple.....

hodroyd

Sounds to be the same all over Europe mate, friends stories from different places concur..!!

The AC Auto is still brilliant in the right hands, all Auto owners know that...!!

allandwf

Only once wished it was auto, and that was stuck on Brussels ring road for an hour and a half!

davy83

Auto has a different engine map to the manual as far as i know, it is tuned to be less peaky, because of the long gears on the auto. SO the auto will develop more power over a wider range than the manual but probably does not have as big a kick at peak power, i suspect they are both a bit bonkers to be honest compared to the 4200 engine. However it is conceivable that the auto sounds slightly different to the manual, or it could just be the hundreds of different exhaust setup options.

Sounds better? Why? It revs lower and changes sooner. Same engine and same throttle map.

dem maser

Auto has a different engine map to the manual as far as i know, it is tuned to be less peaky, because of the long gears on the auto. SO the auto will develop more power over a wider range than the manual but probably does not have as big a kick at peak power, i suspect they are both a bit bonkers to be honest compared to the 4200 engine. However it is conceivable that the auto sounds slightly different to the manual, or it could just be the hundreds of different exhaust setup options.

that's what I thought

Phil H

DW

Keep looking at Dicky's AC; imho before too long a few folk will regret not buying it!

I'd love another AC as a keeper but in Rosso Mondiale as black on black doesn't quite do it for me. That is a very nice example though.

PH

hodroyd

Both the manual and the Auto should have the same peak power figures, although the Auto in Auto may change slightly earlier using maximum torque on the map..!!

D Walker

DW

Keep looking at Dicky's AC; imho before too long a few folk will regret not buying it!

I'd love another AC as a keeper but in Rosso Mondiale as black on black doesn't quite do it for me. That is a very nice example though.

PH

Just looked again! lol. See what you are saying about Black on Black.

hodroyd

Standard AC interior Black with red piping, like the black bodywork and the red rear lights, it's black and red like it, or not..??