Steering Wheel retrim in Leather - any recommendations?

mcs

I would like to have my GTS wheel re trimmed in leather. The current leather has become too bright and shiny for my liking and I love a nice matte effect leather wheel. Has anyone ever done this? Any recommendations?

hodroyd

Yes a good leather cleaner followed a leather food should bring it back..!! Shiny leather is usually from the hands, you can't help it but palms do perspire and the leather gets coated, needs cleaning off..!! I use Renapur cleaner and Balsam, works well..!! http://www.renapur.com/

mcs

Thanks - will give magic eraser a try but its so shiny doubt it will help! Previous owner prob used vaseline intensive care hand cream :D:D:D

Will also try renapur - many thanks

hodroyd

If it's really bad, try some neat washing up liquid just on one spot with a cloth and see if it breaks down the grease..??

mcs

Have just ordered some Dr Leather cleaning spray and wipes too as come highly recommended on other websites. Will let you know how I get on..thanks

mcs

Update - Dr Leather good arrived today - steering wheel cleaned and now back to a nice matte finish...nothing like new leather but there is no shine whatsover...Im pleased as it saved me spending money on a new retrim :D

Also cleaned the seats and doors and they are all back to matte now - lovely.

mcs

Thanks all - I recommend the Dr Leather wipes too - keep them in the car boot and wipe away when things start getting shiny :)

hodroyd

Glad it all worked out mate, beats spending loads of cash to get a simple job done..!!

alfatwo

What do you think... Mike's lovely old Birewood steering wheel matches the original dash on my old 3200GT
I know lots of you out there like carbon...My 3200GT is old school and better for it..and rare!

Thanks Mike..

Dave

Attachments

• alfastuff 003.jpg
    alfastuff 003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 4

mcs

Hmm nice combination of leather and wood - not something I would like in my car but I see where you are coming from :)