Newbie from South Africa

Grant V

Good day, Gents!

A year ago I realized a bit of a dream when I bought my first Maserati - I found it through Viglietti Motors, the local Ferrari and Maserati agents in Johannesburg. It's a 2007 Executive auto in the perfect colour combination of dark blue metallic with cream interior, and at the time it only had 14000km on the clock. I've used it daily since then and I've racked up a further 25000km.
There have been hassles over the past year, but that's another story. I don't think low mileage cars are a good buy - cars should be used and exercised, and standing for long periods just causes things to fail.
The Maserati influence comes form my father who raced an A6GCS in the early 60s, as well as a 200SI and owned a 300S for a while in the early 70s, which he hauled out of Angola before the civil war broke out. The car now belongs to Martin Halusa.
I'm a bit of a car nut and have a varied collection of cars, all in varying states of repair (does it ever end?): 1964 Mercedes 300SE Fintail, 1970 Citroen DS20, two Citroen SMs, 1978 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, 1994 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet, 1991 Mercedes W124 500E, 1994 Audi RS2 Avant - there are a few more.
I also compete in historic racing with a 1967 230S Fintail (www.myfinnyracer.co.za) and I'm currently building a replica of the AMG Mercedes 300SEL 6.8 racer.
It's all a bit of madness, actually.

BigR

Lovely example - and welcome to the fold!

Quite a collection of cars you've built up there. If only the Mrs would allow...and I had a big enough garage etc...!

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Welcome to the fold Grant. Your QP looks like a lovely example, and your father certainly had a great Maserati CV. Viglietti in Bryanston always have lovely stock in, I always pop in for a chat when I'm over there. We head over every year to stay with friends, not many Maseratis, even in Gauteng.

drewf

Welcome Grant, have to agree that colour combination is probably the finest possible on a QP. Suits it perfectly.

Love the family Maserati history!

zagatoes30

Welcome, lovely colour combo.

We need to see photos of some of your other cars, BennyD is especially interested in anything French ;)

Andyk

Only just seen this Grant..A big warm welcome and what a stunning looking QP.....Love the interior...

hodroyd

Hi Grant,
Welcome to the forum mate, a very nice QP indeed you have there, excellent condition..!! Great history with the brand, you only really had one way to go..!!:wink:
Cheers
R

AndyW

Good day, Gents!

A year ago I realized a bit of a dream when I bought my first Maserati - I found it through Viglietti Motors, the local Ferrari and Maserati agents in Johannesburg. It's a 2007 Executive auto in the perfect colour combination of dark blue metallic with cream interior, and at the time it only had 14000km on the clock. I've used it daily since then and I've racked up a further 25000km.
There have been hassles over the past year, but that's another story. I don't think low mileage cars are a good buy - cars should be used and exercised, and standing for long periods just causes things to fail.
The Maserati influence comes form my father who raced an A6GCS in the early 60s, as well as a 200SI and owned a 300S for a while in the early 70s, which he hauled out of Angola before the civil war broke out. The car now belongs to Martin Halusa.
I'm a bit of a car nut and have a varied collection of cars, all in varying states of repair (does it ever end?): 1964 Mercedes 300SE Fintail, 1970 Citroen DS20, two Citroen SMs, 1978 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, 1994 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet, 1991 Mercedes W124 500E, 1994 Audi RS2 Avant - there are a few more.
I also compete in historic racing with a 1967 230S Fintail (www.myfinnyracer.co.za) and I'm currently building a replica of the AMG Mercedes 300SEL 6.8 racer.
It's all a bit of madness, actually.

Welcome and lovely car collection. I spend quite a bit if time in Jburg as have a lot of family there. Actually coming out again in two weeks :). Always amazes me the amount of lovely cars and the huge price premium compared to the UK! The flip side is they also seem to hold their value much better..

Grant V

I spend quite a bit if time in Jburg as have a lot of family there. Actually coming out again in two weeks :). Always amazes me the amount of lovely cars and the huge price premium compared to the UK! The flip side is they also seem to hold their value much better..

Coming to enjoy a bit of summer? Today's cooking - it's 34 degrees, and that's an observation, not a complaint.

Yes, the prices of our cars are bonkers and there's a reason for this. You can't import anything younger than 40 years old, unless you're coming to settle in the country. There are some guys who have imported more recent models, but you have to hack through red tape and prove that the car is some sort of future classic. Also, can't import any lefties, so there go my plans for a Gullwing....

hodroyd

40 years old, sounds like car land in such as Cuba, what on earth would they want to do that for, on purpose..??

Grant V

It's the nanny state's way of ensuring that the 2nd hand car market doesn't get cocked up, the result being that used cars are relatively expensive, as Andy pointed out.

AndyW

Coming to enjoy a bit of summer? Today's cooking - it's 34 degrees, and that's an observation, not a complaint.

Yes, the prices of our cars are bonkers and there's a reason for this. You can't import anything younger than 40 years old, unless you're coming to settle in the country. There are some guys who have imported more recent models, but you have to hack through red tape and prove that the car is some sort of future classic. Also, can't import any lefties, so there go my plans for a Gullwing....

Oh yes! And some good food and cheap wine :).
Is there a big import duty on cars younger than 40 years? Believe it's similar in Oz - have to prove its for your own use and not to sell etc.

Grant V

I think there is, but I'm not sure.

Send me a PM closer to the time - it would be nice to meet you Andy. You can come see all my rubbish that keeps me occupied.