SM Brake discs group buy - it's on!

MAF260

This group buy is now closed as the order has been placed.

Happy to start another list if there is enough interest...

SimonCC

The simple answer is no, there will not be a prototype made and fitted to a car for testing. What would the testing proposed entail? Who would do it? Which conditions would be used for testing - weather, terrain, speed etc? What would conclude a successful test? Over what sort of mileage and timescale? I would be amazed if brake component manufacturers worked in this way - their r&d costs would be unviable or the price of brake discs would be ridiculously high to cover the same. I'm not going to go into detail on this thread/forum for obvious reasons, but I have complete faith in the process followed to produce the product. We're dealing with a major manufacturer who works only in this area. If any member on the list lacks confidence or trust in this I will happily refund payment immediately. I'd be surprised if anyone went to Brembo before buying the Ferrari 550 aftermarket discs and insisted they provide proof of fitting a test set to a car and the results.

It's really hard to put all of this down in writing without sounding defensive, but we haven't jumped in blindly without asking lots of questions and getting detailed answers from the manufacturer.

Mark et al firstly apologies I didn't mean to come across on the offensive and for people to go defensive that wasn't the intention, and certainly not to discredit in anyway the hard work you have gone to behind the scenes (and the work you have ahead to facilitate production and then the distribution) which is very much appreciated. It was merely to ask, if before full production run begins, an initial set will be tested on a car for fit/that they operate, that's all. More for checking the fittings maybe when a car is up on a ramp/stands/rolling road or suchlike and to then test while car is in the air, or something similar to this, I wasn't suggesting a comprehensive all conditions road test. In terms of Brembo brakes - Brembo would have tested their products before releasing to market, so they don't need to test each individual set before it is sold :)

It's is the PM in me you see - preparation is key ;-)

I am sure that you and the manufacturer have everything in hand Mark, and I'm looking forward to 2015 and getting my set through.

Simon

2b1ask1

Special case
Some people used to ride the clutch pedal.....Ian rides the brake pedal,saves time.....;)

P

He really does Frank! 'comfort braking' it is... I sort of got used to it on the centenary run but I always had the comfort myself of knowing it would be his brakes that faded before mine!

drewf

Interview with Hannu Mikkola (errr some time ago).

Interviewer: "Why were your brake lights on the whole time through that stage? Surely it makes the car slower if you are always braking?"

Driving God: "Because there is 9mm travel on the spring before the brakes start to work. I hold it there..."