Citroen SM/Maserati find

Grant V

Errrmmm......I've got two SMs and they're really not that complicated. Everything is mechanical or hydraulic, none of this electronic black art nonsense (except the EFi version, of course!).
And to be honest, I've spent nothing on both cars in the last year compared to what I've had to spend on my QP.
I get that the design is polarizing, but I think it's exquisite. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder and all that.
One thing that I find brilliant about the SM is the fact that it's something that will never be repeated again. Car companies these days are risk averse and will never tackle anything ever again that pushes the envelope as much as the SM did back in 1970. Sure we get to see some amazing prototypes at car shows, but the eventual product is rarely as exciting as the original prototype.
Look at the design carefully - there are so many subtleties. I love the crease line that starts on the edge of the headlight, runs along the fender, the door, rear side window and disappears in the rear flank. Likewise, there's a crease that starts on the rear flank above the taillight that disappears in the front door. Very, very clever. Compare that to anything else of the same period. And the interior is a study in outlandish 70s design - I love the shape and design of the seats and the gear lever/ gate is fabulous.
Sorry, chaps, I just won't hear anything bad about the SM. Except the you have to remove the right front wheel to get the battery out. And the slightly cramped interior. And the shoe box boot....

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Each to their own and I (kind of) applaud your passion for the SM. However, I much prefer the Citroen parked behind the white one as, IMO, it is a much more coherent, and elegant, design.

MAF260

Each to their own and I (kind of) applaud your passion for the SM. However, I much prefer the Citroen parked behind the white one as, IMO, it is a much more coherent, and elegant, design.

Benny - did you just admit to liking a Citroen on a public forum??