Larini exhaust not popping and spitting on over run

SimonCC

Hi All

The car has developed a sound issue in recent weeks which is puzzling me so thought I'd put it out there to the community incase it has been heard of before.

The exhaust used to make a lovely pop and spit sound on the over run. But now it has all but disappeared.

It bizarrely coincided after the car was serviced. I have asked Mathew at Giallo if he has any idea what may have caused this, whether there was a change to the ECU, whether the the diagnostics was plugged in, but he tells me he can't think of anything that may have caused the change. It was after all just an annual routine service, the car having covered just 3500 miles in the last 13 months.

I've lived with the lack of sound quality for a few weeks now but when driving it this weekend and missing the glorious sound again I decided I must ask the question on here as, for want of another word, I am gutted to have lost the sound.

Any ideas gentleman?

Simon

Chrisbassett

Hate to ask, but it's not your driving style that's changed is it?

Maybe the car is running leaner after the service for done reason, less spare fuel to detonate in the exhaust?

allandwf

Yes, possibly running like it should now after the service, excessive popping and banging maybe a symptom of something slightly amiss.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
In that case mine must be f*cked because it pops and bangs like a good un. I'll never have it serviced again if it means losing it's trademark 'crackle'!

conaero

Forum Owner
What causes the crack and popping is the unburnt fuel igniting down the pipes which is extenuated by an xpipe which crashes the gasses into each other.

Maybe when it was serviced, the ecu was set and the car is now under fuelling, or fuelling to a lesser extent.

Get the car hot, reset the ecu, then take it out and thrash it within an inch of its life. This will set the fuelling high, or over fuelling and then your pops and bags should return.

Trev Latter

Get the car hot, reset the ecu, then take it out and thrash it within an inch of its life. This will set the fuelling high, or over fuelling and then your pops and bags should return.

There are probably easier ways to achieve a reset, but without doubt, this way is much more fun.

SimonCC

Interesting to read your thoughts. Mathew tells me he didn't plug anything in, check or change the ecu, so I'm not quite sure what has happened. It's a strange one... :battered:

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Just changing the rear boxes for larini rewarded me with the crackles and pops.
Same when I just changed the rear box on my old Elise.

saintetienne

Vaguely remember having a similar situation on an M3 quite a while ago I think it was caused a very , very slight leak on one of the joints somewhere , slightly changed the behaviour of gas in the system (probably more technical than that - but hopefully you get the drift).

rossyl

Interesting to read your thoughts. Mathew tells me he didn't plug anything in, check or change the ecu, so I'm not quite sure what has happened. It's a strange one... :battered:

But wouldn't he have done a SD2/SD3 check on the car to see if there were any errors?

Contigo

Sponsor
First thought was changed the Gearbox map with an update just like when it doesn't blip on downchange anymore but sounds like the car since service is not running as rich.