gts exhaust

beararse

Anyone know if the exhaust on the 4.7 auto and mc are different? , different noise? I'm in the market just now and looking for some info. Also spoke to the dealer in Edinburgh who says the mc shift is a bu**er in town driving, jerky, difficult to reverse etc. Would have an auto but noise is a big one for me.

Input appreciated guys

Beararse

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi beararse.

Yup, the exhausts are different, physically and audibly. The MC has twin oval pipes and is louder (especially in sport) and the auto has 2 x twin pipes and is more under-stated but gets louder at higher revs when the valves open.

I have an MC and it's fine it town, just takes some getting used to. Take both for a good drive with A-roads, town etc etc and see what you think. Try parking each to get a feel for the difference. The MC *is* harder work but if you fall in love with it (like I did) then you'll put up with it being arguably slightly less refined. One trick with the MC is - with the ignition on - to push the accelerator slowly to the floor three or four times before starting. For some odd reason it almost always solves the abysmal jerkiness that MCs sometimes have when cold and at low / manoeuvring speed.

Happy hunting!

PS - this is an MC with an x-pipe:

[video=youtube;Q4OlMYPjkOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4OlMYPjkOU&list=UUJ-AnDBWRoullREQekdKTxQ[/video]

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dicky. Credit to Benny, the x-pipe was his idea. Better in the real-life, by the way. :smile:

Wattie

I loved my MC but wouldn't consider one if I lived anywhere hilly. Tight parking spaces were from memory a bugger (I didn't know of the pump pedal trick at the time) and required great care.....then theres the electric handbrake....which was either on or off...so no feathering as with a normal handbrake.

Whilst I miss it, one for example in Bath would be, let's say .....interesting!

All said,best car I've ever had, nothing comes close for smiles per gallon.
Cheers Wattie

EXCF350

Anyone know if the exhaust on the 4.7 auto and mc are different? , different noise? I'm in the market just now and looking for some info. Also spoke to the dealer in Edinburgh who says the mc shift is a bu**er in town driving, jerky, difficult to reverse etc. Would have an auto but noise is a big one for me.
Beararse
As stated earlier, the exhaust differences are the twin ovals and the quad pipes but the auto's can also come with the oval sports exhaust. How an auto with the ovals differs from the mc shift I do not know. I test drove a Grancabrio Sport with auto box and oval exhausts and it sounded very good so you need to test both.

I now own an MC shift and disagree about driving it in town. Once you get used to it, it's perfectly fine and smooth as long as you keep it in manual. The auto function is awful, very jerky, and I never use it. Parking in tight spots is fine as long as you are on the level - on a steep slope and it can be a bit traumatic.

Driving round Edinburgh in sport mode in the MC Shift is fantastic - even my wife winds down the windows to get the full effect of the exhaust resonating off the buildings.

bigbob

You have to drive both and then decide as has been said above as we can only advise on what is best for us. I love my GTS auto as it covers all bases for me. I would never buy the MC but there are people here who see things completely the other way round!

Remember that aftermarket exhausts can change a car completely so get the gearbox choice right first then worry about the exhaust afterwards. These are not cars to be bought over the phone/internet, they need to be driven.

EXCF350

These are not cars to be bought over the phone/internet, they need to be driven.

I agree. You need to have a decent test drive in both as they are very different. I was set on buying an auto but then then I found the car with the colours/options/price that I wanted but it had the MC gearbox. Had a test drive and found it fine. If I was to change cars now then I'd want to have another go in an auto but suspect I'd go for an MC Shift again. As everyone keeps saying, they are very different.

rd993

Also worth noting that in the GTS auto the valves in the exhaust open at 3000 rpm in sport mode and it becomes much louder (similar if not the same as the MC shift - I understood that the exhausts are the same but happy to be corrected if someone knows otherwise) but in the MC shift the valves are open at any rpm in sport mode.

bigbob

I wish that Maserati allowed the driver to control all the variables associated with the sport button separately - suspension/throttle/gear change speed/MSP setting and exhaust. Sometimes I don't want 'normal', 'ice' or 'sport' but various combinations of them.

On the exhaust point, I really like the fact that on my car I can drive in sport manual (sport auto seems pointless to me) and enjoy the exhaust but change up to get the revs down and valves closed if circumstances seem appropriate.

MAF260

I wish that Maserati allowed the driver to control all the variables associated with the sport button separately - suspension/throttle/gear change speed/MSP setting and exhaust. Sometimes I don't want 'normal', 'ice' or 'sport' but various combinations of them....

I'd love the same on my GS, BB. It's only electronics, so I'm amazed that nobody has come up with a gizmo that would allow the separate controls. Even if I could just have the Sport mode gear change, MSP and open valves with the softer suspension settings - that would be great!

Chrisbassett

Maserati are a bit like Apple, they keep it simple with a minimum of buttons.

Not sure they read the full play book, they seem to have missed the bit about "it just works"

bigbob

Maserati are a bit like Apple, they keep it simple with a minimum of buttons.

Not sure they read the full play book, they seem to have missed the bit about "it just works"

That's a shame as whenever I go on itunes I think it is very badly organised.

Chrisbassett

Ah, yes...iTunes. That's one to avoid. In automotive terms, iTunes is a bit like a JCB with every possible attachment attached at the same time. Theoretically very powerful and useful, but in practice it's a nightmare. When it first came out and all it had to organise was music, it was great.

Not their proudest moment.

bigbob

I only go on itunes infrequently. I can't get over that when you import a file it will give you multiple copies of the same tracks rather than asking you if you want them to be replaced or ignored.

CatmanV2

have you developed a typing stutter C? (technophobic old man stands back and asks):saifi3:

120 mistakes a minute, me :)

Seriously what bigbob is asking iTunes to do is de-duplication of data. It's something we do in business to stop us wasting storage keeping lots of copy of the *same* file lying around. However, while it may be the same *track* it's almost certainly not like for like on the data level. Of course, the meta data could be used (track title and artist, for example) but many albums (re-mixes and re-masters) have the same title and artist, but are very different recordings or interpretations.

On the whole while iTunes sucks (it's much better on a Mac), my personal view is it sucks for much more than that :)

C

rattie

If you want the sport mode setting with softer suspension unplug the rubber tubes that activates the butterfly valves on each back box.