High Speed Problem.

QP4Me

Hi,

Yesterday, on a closed road, I attempted to reach the speed I normally reach on this particular track, 260kmh/162mph. But despite several attempts I could not get past 230kph/143mph. The car felt unhappy and indeed earlier in the day I thought it was idling roughly.

Now I will say there is a slight imbalance in one or more wheels and a thought occurred to me as to if this could affect me reaching the previous speed? I know its unlikely but given the extreme forces at these speeds (the multiplication of the weight imbalance x high wheel rpm), could this hinder speed?

Could it be contaminated fuel?

Any thoughts?

Pat.

davy83

Has this car ever reached these speeds. If it has changed since the last time you tried this then you are looking at either drag (brakes binding, imbalance maybe, although i don't think this would slow you down that much), or tuning, so mixture, knock sensors retarding ignition, throttle pedal not producing wide open throttle signal, fuel pressure regulation, tyre pressures, it can all add up. if you reckon its idling rough maybe one of the ignition modules is acting up and you are only firing on 7 cylinders? hard to say without driving it or listening to it.

QP4Me

Let me assure you that 260kpm and 230kpm+ are well within the capabilities of a well sorted QP.

Like a lot of cars, they seem to have 'off-days', but I'm sure it will be fine next time.

safrane

Would love to find one of these private roads people mention where you can reach these speeds...only ones I can find seem to be used by large aeroplanes ; 0).

davy83

err i was not suggesting the car wont do it, i may have the older 3200 but its no slouch on the er..um.... airfield, i was trying to establish if some thing has happened which can some times help work out what's wrong or whether the car has never performed since you got it.

alfatwo

As the older 3200GT are lots lighter then the currant QP's and with similar outputs, one would assume they'd be faster wouldn't you think...

How about 168mph+ and it was still pulling ******* the A...last weekend.. no lift or anything just Forza!

Giugiaro and his guys knew what they were doing with the old Maserati 3200GT,4200 and GS models,elegant designs with sledgehammer performance!

Dave

davy83

i have only had 165 on the err ... airfield... with mine and like you still pulling hard, I reckon over 170 easily with enough space. Yes i am fairly hooked on my 3200, in my 7th year of ownership and can't imagine what i would replace it with. I hope to max it either on the race track in Modena we are all visiting or on the autobahn on the way back so I will let you know. I will have the speedo and the GPS and will probably choose the one that reads highest :)

drewf

You've no chance of maxing it on a racetrack, unless it's somewhere with a straight longer than 2 miles! In Modena there are too many corners. Much better attempting it on an Autobahn ;)

QP4Me

I reached 260kph with no problems on this track before, there was more to come but the end (of the track) was nigh. I checked the plugs this morning all seemed fine. I booked into a 'hi-tech' wheel balancing outfit, interesting to see if it makes a difference.

My Chrysler reached 234kph on the same track, it was obviously governed as it was reached with little effort and then abruptly stopped with lots of revs left.

Let me add that my 'track' is in a foreign jurisdiction.

davy83

True i could not hit max speed in my last TVR at the Nurburgring as the straight is too short, got to about 168 i remember, but the corner on the back of the straight drops too if i remember quite disconcerting, at those speeds.

You've no chance of maxing it on a racetrack, unless it's somewhere with a straight longer than 2 miles! In Modena there are too many corners. Much better attempting it on an Autobahn ;)